Laptop wont Boot... even in safe mode

By gregblade
Jan 11, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

Right, I was on my laptop yesterday, not doing anything major just browsing the net and playing with itunes etc......
    It shut down fine and everything sempt ok.

This morning i've tried to turn my computer on and it goes to the screen with the option to start in safe mode, last good settings and start windows normally.....

No matter which option i choose it takes me back to that screen about 4 seconds later.......

Can anyone help?

Its an Asus A6u Laptop with Windows XP......

Any help will be much appreciated because if not its off to the repair centre tomorrow.

also, im not the greatest with computer terms.....

Cheers

Greg
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

read the laptop won't power on guide in the guides forum.
  3. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 742

4. gregblade

gregblade Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 20

read them......nothing there about getting the safe mode screen everytime you turn it on......
  5. coalfire

coalfire Newcomer, in training Posts: 43

Does it give you an option to disable auto restart on this screen, I had this problem recently and on turning off the auto restart got an error saying HD was unmountable. A restore from the recovery disk and it has been fine since, never found out what caused it
  6. gregblade

No i dont get that option, I turn on the laptop, it begins to load up, i then get the screen about "sorry for causing any inconvenience blah blah...." and my options are then to....

Start in Safe Mode
    Start in Safe Mode with Networking
    Start in Safe Mode with command prompt

Last good settings

Start windows normally

No matter which one of those i pick, the system reboots, the screen flashes and brings the same screen back up......
  7. Ultiweap

Ok what you don't during the past week before having that problem?

This may be a problem with a hardware, driver or even windows file missing or corrupt but it making a big error. This may sometimes be cause due to virus etc...
  8. gregblade

I haven't installed or altered anything recently, its all as it was.....which is what i cant understand, but i dont know how im suppose to do anything with it when i cant even get into safe mode.....
  9. Ultiweap

Sometimes this happens when you have virus, spywares on your PC. What Antivirus, Firewall and Spyware do you have on your PC?
  10. coalfire

coalfire Newcomer, in training Posts: 43

Can you get a copy of ultimate boot CD and run a disk check from that.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.