Laptop wont boot from CD-ROM (XP) Or HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem first started when I restarted my computer, and i got the "The following files is either missing or curropt: <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll Please re-install the following files."

So before I tried a scratched up XP disk, wouldn't read, obviously. So then I tried an Ubuntu Live CD to try to be able to replace hal.dll from there. However, the installation was messed up, and wouldn't let me install it, and I think may have messsed something up.

Now, when I got a working XP disk (I burnt a copy of my friends...it was on an CD-RW disk, is that a problem?) I put it in, and try to boot from CD. Now, it does exactly what it does when I boot from HD, but if I boot from Ubuntu Live, it does not. I read that burnt CDs have a low chance of working, so should I try to use an original copy?

I believe theres a quick message right before about "Invalid boot.ini loading from c:\windows" I cannot read the rest. Any solutions?

Sounds like running a repair installation of Windows would solve everything.

Did you make a .iso image of his CD and burn it as an image file? Why not just borrow the original copy anyway, it'll probably take less time to run the repair installation then make a .iso and burn etc.

I just copied the files from the disc to the HD, then burnt it onto a CD-RW...could that be why I can't boot from CD? Once I get INTO the XP recovery, it would be fine, but I can't get into it >.<

tysm, I'm back on my laptop, everything back to normal using the ISO way =D

Funny thing though, the XP was in polish, so i had to translate everything i did in the repair utility :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back