Laptop won't install Windows

RyanL6

I started getting an error on boot up.

It is:

pxt-e61 (media test failure, check cable)
pxe-m0f (exiting pxe rom)

PXE-M04
Operating System Not Found

Ive added in two separate Hard Drives, to check different HDs incase it was a HD problem, and I tried boot off cd disc with windows 7 iso.

And it keeps going back to that error above.

I read PXE says its trying boot from network as HDD and CD won't work.

I have been into BIOS and network is disabled.

Only boot up is

1. cd/dvd
2. hdd
3. FDD (DISABLED)
4. LAN (DISABLED)

I disabled these by going to bios and hitting SHIFT 1 as asked and exclamation came beside them to state it was disabled.

Any help Id really appreciate.

Tell us why you have the network disabled. Tell us the configuration of your computer. Is your DVD/CD drive disabled? IF so, why?

I read on a few sites the reason Im getting PXE erro is because its trying boot from lag as others are failing and to turn it off. so tried that.

No cd/dvd is not disabled I tried boot win 7 iso from that.

Ive tried boot from cd/dvd drive and get same error.

Toshiba satellite c550, 2years old, 4gb ram , n bios it shows up the hard drives i put in, i have even zeroed out one HD and it works perfect in a casing as external on another laptop.

Anything else you need to know?

It might be helpful for you to fully describe your hardware, and your install. Please include equipment as well as age and use... could something be worn out, or incorrectly installed? When did it last work correctly?

On the face of it, you have a motherboard failure. It can no longer boot from either a CD or a HDD. What does the bios say your devices are? Does it correctly describe the CD and HDD drives by make, model and size ? If not it is very bad news.

The only thing I can suggest is to reset the bios and try again. See your hardware manual on the m/f website for how to do that. It can involve just removing the motherboard battery for a while, or there can be motherboard pins to short. Then you need to set the date / time and any other specific settings, so the sensible thing to do is go into the bios now and record every setting on every page of the bios.

System Time and Date is correct.
CPU TYPE: Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU
T4500

CPU SPEED:2300 MHz

HDD/SSD: TOSHIBA MK3252GSX-(S2)
ODD: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C-(S5)
TOTAL MEMORY SIZE: 4096MB
SYSTEM BIOS VERSION: 1.40
EC VERSION: 1.40
==================
ADVANCED > SYSTEM CONFIGURATION

PCI LAN - enabled
INTERNAL POINTING DEVICE - enabled
WEB CAMERA - enabled
SATA CONTROLLER MODE - AHCI
POWER ON DISPLAY - auto selected

When PCI LAN is enabled i receive this error i said in O.P

pxt-e61 (media test failure, check cable)
pxe-m0f (exiting pxe rom)

PXE-M04

If i 'disable' PCI LAN in system config i login and just receive this error

I also tried install UBUNTU and win7 via USB AND BOOT from USB and then it just loaded to black screen with a small underline flashing on top left and stays there.

Is that enough bios information?

You didn't mention your operating system, or if you did, I missed it.

I would clean out your cooling vents, and cpu fan, then
test by installing your operating system to a new or different hard drive. or run a repair install or have a friendly tech who is experienced with Toshiba laptops take a look.

It appears you may have a major issue with the system board, or the hard drive. Attempting to a install on a different hard drive might rule out or confirm one or the other.

Good luck. Please let us know what you learn from all this trouble, when you finally get it running properly.

Have you tried using a liveCD version of Ubuntu to see if it even boots into that? That's usually my fallback to help diagnose or fix critical failures that are stopping a computer from booting up. The boot to USB can be flaky at times, using a liveCD seems to be the most bulletproof method.

If you can't even boot Ubunto from a liveCD, odds are you have some motherboard / drive controller failure (as gbhall suggested).

Back