Laptop wont load properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I turn on my laptop everything is distorted, the normal load screen has some funky colors in the background and some pre-loading stuff (think it's the bios) looks like it's bleeding (the letters have some lines above and below them) then the screen goes black and the computer wont finish loading (no windows load up sound and when using keyboard hotkeys I can't turn off my computer). However, it will load up in safe mode (though, it has the same text distortions till it's fully loaded) I don't know how else to explain it.

I have a dell XPS m1710, nVidia graphics card (pretty sure it's 6800gts or something like that) and I've had a few problems with my display drivers already. However, this problem happened while trying to update from SP2 to SP3. I uninstalled SP3 and reinstalled SP2 but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Start back up in Safe Mode
Log on to the Administrator account
Click on Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc

Maximize the Device Manager window that eventually opens
Locate and expand (clicking on the + sign) your Video device

Right click on your actual expanded Video device, and select "remove" (it may say "delete" or "un-install")

Then restart back to Normal mode
In Normal mode, go H E R E to get your updated drivers

:)

Oh and put SP3 back on ;)

I did that in an un administrator account... I can't figure out my admin account's password... I've used the default ones I know of (admin, administrator, password, pass, etc) and ones I could have used (pretty small for I use the same password for just about everything)

It worked the first time for a few days then it went black again when I was in the middle of updating SP3. Any other ideas? or do you know the password to my admin account? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back