Laptop won't restart

By Mark Fuller
Oct 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have an inspiron 1100 and all of the sudden it will not restart.
  2. terry5880

terry5880 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 527

What do u mean by it will not restart u click on start then restart and it dont do it ?
  3. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 162

I click restart from the shutdown menu.
  4. terry5880

terry5880 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 527

Do u use roxio easy cd creator if yes go to roxio.com and install latest drivers...
    Another possible cause is that Windows XP was installed with the wrong power management hardware abstraction layer (HAL). Verify that power management is enabled in the BIOS. Open the Power Options applet from the Control Panel, click the APM tab, and turn on Enable Advanced Power Management support. If you don't see this option, the system is likely configured with the ACPI HAL and your problem lies elsewhere.
    You can also reinstall Windows XP and manually select the ACPI HAL during installation to overcome potential power management issues with hardware (such as video cards) that does not support APM.
    Here is a Microsoft link with more information: q810903.

Read more at http://www.askdavetaylor.com/why_doesnt_my_pc_restart_properly.html#HLOGgPe2BBeXMkc4.99

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.