TechSpot

Laptop Wont turn on

By Cibico99
Aug 3, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, so my laptop, a Compaq Presario V6210US, wont run on. I push the power button, the led lights light up for about a second then they go off and it dies, please help. The power supply is plugged in, ive tryed it pluged in and not and with the battery in and out.
  2. kimsland

    kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

    There are a lot of possibilities. So it can be difficult (and easy!)

    Lets do the real simple stuff.

    Reseat the ram card(s) and blow out any dust
    Reseat the HardDrive (make sure to make a secure connection)

    Pull out the main (big) battery,; remove the power adaptor. Hold down ON for 30secs (dispersing all internal power)
    Re-insert the power adaptor
    Turn On

    Now it gets a bit harder!
    Remove all power again
    Begin to pull it apart (the dissamble guide should be on the net somewhere)
    Remove all internal dust
    Reconnect all internal connections
    Turn on again

    Lastly (still with it apart)
    Reseat the CPU
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

    Good luck :)
  3. lamo

    lamo TS Rookie Posts: 570

    according to symptoms there's 95% probability, that this is northbridge chip faulire. other 5% is CPU V-core PWM failure. you can check PWM-failure, if you check the presence of CPU voltage(it sholud be 0,94v)
  4. radnam

    radnam TS Rookie Posts: 53

    Hello ,

    I had the same problem once with my Acer laptop.

    tried ;

    Pull out the main (big) battery,; remove the power adaptor. Hold down ON for 30secs (dispersing all internal power)
    Re-insert the power adaptor
    Turn On

    But it worked for sometime and agin went out.

    had to take it to the vendor who fixed it for me.
  5. Rick

    Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

    Your percentages are somewhat arbitrary, but I *do* agree with you that something like a northbridge chipset failure could be the reason (and maybe even probable).

    Also, shouldn't the vcore be higher than 0.94v? (Not that radnam has the ability to check it anyway, most likely...)

    But why are you saying it is 100% likely to be a non user-serviceable issue? It can be so many other things... A broken power jack and a battery that finally discharged... just to name an example. How about some practical suggestions before we jump to conclusions? I'm willing to bet reworking a PCB filled with microelectronics isn't really an option for most people... Reballing definitely isn't, which is what you always suggest...

    Interesting...
  6. kimsland

    kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

    Thanks Rick

    I might use that post as reference
    I was an electronics technician before being a computer tech, and even though I've done it all, and had many specialized tools (that you must own to do this work) As the years passed, Oscilloscopes, IC soldering and electronic schematics of which voltage where, have just gone out the door.

    If the board is faulty, replace.
  7. Tedster

    Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

  8. lamo

    lamo TS Rookie Posts: 570

    >>But why are you saying it is 100% likely to be a non user-serviceable issue? It can be so many other things...
    Rick, did you notice, that i'm telling the solution of the problem, depending on the symptoms?
    i do repairing of laptops, and i always tell about problem using my expirience.
    as i see on this forum, people tell about problems with laptop, and they even don't tell the exact model number! every(yes! every!) laptop has typical problems. there are some types of symptoms(like, non-working USB-ports) which point to problem with one word :)
    PS. your quotations are senseless without context.
  9. lamo

    lamo TS Rookie Posts: 570

    and rick, how many did you repair laptops? especially dv6xxx series(with turion CPU and nvidia 6100-6150go chipset)? i've already repaired about 30-40 laptops with same symptoms and with several solutions of problem.(northibridge,dead videochip,dead cpu v-core)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...


Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.