Laptop won't turn on

Hi

I have an ‘Acer5520’ laptop. Last year it broke and I regularly try and see if it works again. In the past few days it has come on and I have been using it successfully. But now it’s doing the same thing, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how it can be fixed?

The problem is that it won’t turn on, it comes on for about 3 seconds with a black screen then goes off again. When it comes on for the 3 seconds it is just a black screen, it happens regardless of how your laptop is being powered, using the battery & the mains. I have also tried just using the mains.

I don’t know much about fixing them such as BIOS settings or adding and removing components...

Thanks

... it happens when it’s using the mains and the battery.

This phrase confuses me slightly. Does this issue occur regardless of how your laptop is being powered?

When this issue does occur, what is the charge on your battery? Also, does this happen if you remove the battery, but keep it powered by AC?

Yes sorry that's what I meant, it happens regardless of how your laptop is being powered.

The battery is charged, yes it does still happen when I just power it using the AC, I have just tried it. Thank you for the suggestion

This phrase confuses me slightly. Does this issue occur regardless of how your laptop is being powered?

When this issue does occur, what is the charge on your battery? Also, does this happen if you remove the battery, but keep it powered by AC?

Yes sorry that's what I meant, it happens regardless of how your laptop is being powered.

The battery is charged, yes it does still happen when I just power it using the AC, I have just tried it. Thank you for the suggestion

Ah, in that case you might want to call Acer's tech support to see if your laptop is still under warranty. The haphazard occurrence of this issue leads me to believe that either your mother-board needs replaced or the hardware involved with your power regulation is bad.

EDIT: The issue is that the entire computer shuts down after three seconds and not just the monitor, right?

Ah, in that case you might want to call Acer's tech support to see if your laptop is still under warranty. The haphazard occurrence of this issue leads me to believe that either your mother-board needs replaced or the hardware involved with your power regulation is bad.

EDIT: The issue is that the entire computer shuts down after three seconds and not just the monitor, right?

Hi thanks for the reply.

Its a few years old now so no longer under warranty. Thanks for your suggestions about the problem, it sounds serious. Maybe I will just have to accept that it's not going to work again and buy a new laptop.

Yes the issue is the entire laptop shuts down not just the monitor.

Back