Last ditch before the pond. (Random rebooting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyonis

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, and really i never post on these boards casue i am not savy enough to help anyone but my wife maybe when it comes to computers. Not to say im a total computer illiterate eitehr ,but id spare peopel my advice and stear them to sites liek this one for help rather than handle it myself :p

This is a last ditch effort into checking this computer out before i throw this thing in our pond out in the horse pasture, seriously. I have done some extremely extensive testing and benchmarking and debugging and whatever peopel on various boards has offered as solutions to others people to no avail (this is a 3-4 weeks old problem, im on this computer 12 hours a day trying to fix it)

This is a brand new system about 3 weeks old, and this problem has been happening continiously during that time, specs are as follows:

Winxp Pro sp2

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024A-6400

eVGA 512-P2-N548-TX Geforce 7600GS 512MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

ABIT KN9S Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800CUBOX

SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI Model SHS162LBEBN

And a WDC 160g HDD ATA something rather, not useing sata or anything, yet.

Ok on to the problem shall we.

On a fairly irregular but semi regular basis, my computer randomly reboots, this more often than not is during high intensity gfx load, but it also happens infreqently while doing abosolutely nothing at all aswell. But generaly, i run World of WArcraft and a few other select games, and my system will jsut up out of nowhere randomly reboot. This happens maybe 5-10 times a day. And i have not got a incling of a idea what the problem is, device driver is what im told by windows, but i have since updated, removed, replaced, reformatted numerous times, to no avail.

before you give the standard answers ill say this, new PSU that has been checked out to run everythign i have, and then some and its not faulty, all the rails are working as they should, this isnt a psu problem (tested on a old psu aswell, same problem, and this pus really was a load of manure :p)

Temperature of the system is great, i have several case fans, my system and cpu is usualy idle around 23-25c, and under heavy load, its touching bas near 30c, pretty spot on normal id say personaly. (PWM is usualy 33-43 under idle/heavy load) Room temp is around 70F (we liek it toasty cold here, we live in Oklahoma, im not used to the heat beeing swedish, so indoors its winter, outdoors its for lack off a better description, molten lava hot)

Ram testing, yep did that, memtest86+, windiag.. extensive testing hours on end, reporting no faults, so im fairly sure its not that, but then again, they are not 100% so you never know)

Updated and checked every little thing i could in BIOS, disabling this lil thing, enabeling this things etc.. to no avail, reset cmos several times while reformatting etc

Ill attach a few minidumps for you guys to gaze at, and see if maybe that will give you guys a clue as to what might be my issue, i am leaning twords my gfx card beeing crapola and the drivers that go with them are aswell, altho i have tried maybe 20+ drivers, forceware WHQL betas old new tweaked NGO, OMEGA etc to no avail, problem still persists in one form or another.

I just need some serious brain storming on this before i go totaly insane, Im swedish so pardon my english, its sporadicly bad lol. (Live in america etc tho btw so this is all american stuff.)

Is your system connected to an UPS or line conditioner? Did you disable your hibernation options?

Did you move your system from the current outlet to another one. possible dirty AC.

Edited in this (rude me) Hi and thanks for looking Smore :)

No idea actually, thats probably one of the things i havent actually thought of checking ,will go check that out today and tomorrow and see if it does any difference, anyone see if the minidumps said anything clever meantime?

Editing this in too, I checked my temperatures during 90% off the crashes and bios and abiteq (their own semi bad monitor) were all perfectly fine during every random reboot too, just thought id throw that in aswell to eliminate overheating a bit more as a issue.

Edited in, its not on a UPS or a line conditioner for sure, i will have a go at moveing the ac and stuff to a different line and buy a new outlet, i have huge doubts the problem will be that easy tho but never the less, good thign to check hehe

And yes hibernation is disabled.

Moved and changed the strip and moved to a different connector, no dice :/ /pray for some more ideas as to what this could be.

Thanks for replying, but if you read, ive already said that i did it :p finds no faults on extensive testing. (and i did it with several memory testing tools not jsut memtest86)

Have you tried replaceing the video card (or remove it and run with integrated video if your motherboard has integrated video). I've had bad video cards cause random reboots.

That shall unfortunatly be my next ditch effort, im jsut not sure how too see if its the video card, memory, or mobo or cpu, they all sorta seam fine, then at some times, they all sorta seam to have their own issues, the more i read the more the conspiracy that i got screwed royaly pops up in my head lol.

And yes thats my next thing to try, will have to use the evga stepup porgram and spend some money on getting a better card, but money is really tight unfortunatly, life etc u know, so i was hopeing someone whould see this on the boards and go "hey i think i know exactly what it is!!" Like the topic says, this puter is moveing closer to the pond every day :p

Still wondering bout the minudumps tho, anyone checked into those to see if they tell any tales?

Three of the dumps point to sound, one to video and one to the CPU. The first file is the cause, the second is the process and the last thing is the bugcheck. The bugchecks can be found HERE.

Portcls.sys (onboard sound, system file). WOW. D1.
ntkrpamp.exe (system file). Ventrilo.exe (sound related). A.
nv4_disp.dl (video card). WOW. 7E.
RtkHDAud.sys (onboard sound). WOW. D1.

The worrying one is the CPU. This is the ERROR and some likely causes. None of the BIOS updates mention a CPU microcode fix, the latest being v1.5. Also, what's AmdTools? Remove it if it's not required.

Hmm thanks for the input peter, its greatly apprechiated, i will do what those sites said (first one ive already been to oddly enough hehe) but the second one seamed to be a fresh start on narrowing it down, i will try and contact amd and see if i can get some answers there about the microcode, and maybe see about a RMA on the processor,. u know the funny thing is, the past 3 days i have had very very few errors, and the only thign i did was enable (yes enable) amd ool n quiet and appolied a hotfix that i did not have, WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-ENU this is the name off it, it was a very similar problem someone else posted aobut on a differnet forums, be darned if i can find the site again now tho :/ but it did go from rebooting 5-10 times a day, to 1-2 or 0 even (today i been playing WoW all day and only rebooted 1 time, that i very rare, past 3 days ive been playing games frequently and not had more than maybe 2-3 reboots, im not sure exactly what i might have done but well it seamed to be going the right way? lol not perfect tho, by far so the search continues, i will try what those links suggested and give you a update soon as i get answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back