Latest Battlefield 4 patch addresses network issues, game crashes

Russ Boswell

Multiplayer can be a tough thing to master. Just ask DICE. It's a pretty daunting task to bring a multiplayer experience that is capable of housing massive 64-player deathmatches, and the developer is already feeling some of these issues with its highly popular Battlefield 4 title, but a patch released today aims to remedy that.

The latest update addresses some of the recent crashes and server failures that have been kicking players out of matches and in some cases, the game entirely. You can read the patch update notes on the Battlefield 4 forums, but the gist of it is that the fix will focus on three key elements. The first, and perhaps the most important thing gamers should notice is a big boost in overall stability when playing.

Network syncing also saw its share of complaints. If you've been experiencing random deaths and enemies shooting you through walls or around corners, this patch should finally correct that. DICE has pinned down the bug behind this type of behavior and says it's continuing to work to remedy other network syncing problems, if not all of them, in the near future. Likewise, network smoothing function located under the gameplay sub-menu is also getting some attention, for people experiencing packet loss during multiplayer sessions.

This newest patch, labeled "Update #12" on the Battlefield 4 forums, is available for download today. In addition to this release, DICE has also patched up some things server-side, which will hopefully clear up some of the problems that the company is experiencing with their own network. 

Permalink to story.

This patch came out yesterday, and it made things worse for a lot of people. I haven't been able to play crash free for the last 18 days due to the freeze and audio loop crash. Even if they fix that for me, there are other countless issues reported. Users are still blowing up their Twitter page too. It's a sad day to be a BF fan experiencing crashes every day. Some still can't even join a game. I've stopped trying until I see my issue confirmed fixed in the forums. Every time I crash I want to hammer fist my keyboard.

649 pages and counting http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065217944685108/1/

Edit: Twelve days after release their were 28 pages of reported issues a day on the above thread. Since then it has rose to 36 pages per day. :(

Formula used: Current thread page count divided by Days game has been out.

It made things worse for some people. it made my BF4 gaming experience 100 times better. I dont get crashing when joining servers... I dont get random freeze ups in game. Granted I only played for about 4 hours after the patch but as I said I noticed a huge improvement.

All those forum posts I would take with a grain of salt... yes lots of people are having issues... but I bet more than half of those posts are trolls or people who have other computer issues and blame it on the game. I am in no way defending DICE/EA I was as pissed as the next person when my game would crash while im going 20-2 and I lose all my stats. Buteh point is they are fixing it and have made the game ALOT more stable for ALOT of people.

I have a perfectly maintained I7 + 780 + win 8, etc and this patch doubled the amount of crashes on my setup.
Battlefield 4 has stopped responding.
At random. Tried everything I could think of, but no Dice.
(Excuse the Pun)

I crashed every few games prior to the patch and I began encountering a memory error running Eyefinity with dual R9 290xs. This was all before the patch. Since the patch, I haven't crashed a single time. My game actually runs faster now. I get about 88 fps on 5960x1080 with all settings at max. I was worried about this patch as I read the forums first, but I'm one of the few people that is extremely pleased with this patch.

Made things worse for me. I am probably not going to buy another Battlefield game if EA is gonna run with that attitude of "we have to beat cod". RIP the times when DICE was actually a good developer.

Still got that bug where my character will suddenly auto walk forward and I cant control it, have to kill bf4 in task manager to get out.

Early adopter suckers. LOL. Guess its time for me to buy Battlefield 3 for $10.00 now that you all have been beta testing that game for a year or so now. It better not have bugs or else I'll be back here to kick some *** and take some names down.

Early adopter suckers. LOL. Guess its time for me to buy Battlefield 3 for $10.00 now that you all have been beta testing that game for a year or so now. It better not have bugs or else I'll be back here to kick some *** and take some names down.

Lol, not to burst your bubble but BF3 still has a few issues xD

This Patch helped me majorly, no more crashes at all (servers still randomly flip but that's not a fault on my end) but Sound does still randomly go for no reason.

Thing is, the Netcode is now in a "better" state, I now die a lot less randomly, but it still needs A LOT of work, sometimes I can be laying into someone's head at point blank with a Marksman Rifle and they walk away with 100 health! Not Cool Dice...

Made things worse for me. I am probably not going to buy another Battlefield game if EA is gonna run with that attitude of "we have to beat cod". RIP the times when DICE was actually a good developer.

Agreed, Dice used to be about the game quality but EA seem to be pushing them on tighter and tighter deadlines :(

Problem is, I have 18 friends who place the game on PC and I play with a good 5-6 of them everyday, we all jump on my team speak and except for the friend who keeps crashing out it's a real blast to play! but by myself it's an absolute pig, with friends on teamspeak relaying enemy positions you can beat the sh!t netcode, without them, I just get killed from the most random of people / weapons (I once "apparently" got knifed by a guy who was on hill 500m away -_-).

Problem is, I have 18 friends who place the game on PC and I play with a good 5-6 of them everyday, we all jump on my team speak and except for the friend who keeps crashing out it's a real blast to play! but by myself it's an absolute pig, with friends on teamspeak relaying enemy positions you can beat the sh!t netcode, without them, I just get killed from the most random of people / weapons (I once "apparently" got knifed by a guy who was on hill 500m away -_-).

Yeah, the game is fun, but at times it can be frustrating. Lol @ the 500M knife.

You do know the model right? BF3 is worthless without servers and a community. The servers are rented from EA/DICE. Once EA decides they don't want to support the game anymore, they pull the plug on the servers and service and your hard earned $10 is worthless.
Also as far as early adopters goes, you'll be joining BF3 and BF4 late. You'll have the worst gear and generally someone who has played for 400+ hours already will take a lot of the fun out of it with gear you won't get for a while.
Your choice but being a late adopter isn't worth much in this model.

Well, now that's a bummer. Consumers can't host their own servers anymore? That is not good. Although, Valve still has a ton of servers running for almost all of their games. Half-Life 1 & 2, Counterstrike, Team Fortress 2. It would be hard to imagine that EA would shut down every server though unless there were absolutely no demand for it. No reason to have 40 servers if they are only ever half full. Drop it to 20 servers to keep them full and keep the consumers happy.

Give me the days of players being able to host games on their own home computer. Man, this cloud bullshit sucks. We have no control over what we purchase anymore.

We should start a boycott of this supressive business model. Purchase no more games that can't be hosted and controller by the consumer.

I haven't experienced a single issue with BF4 in any way shape or form. Maybe it has something to do with me not owning a copy or playing the game. Anyway I'm pleased to report I'm not affected at all by these bugs you're all busy crying about.

I haven't experienced a single issue with BF4 in any way shape or form. Maybe it has something to do with me not owning a copy or playing the game. Anyway I'm pleased to report I'm not affected at all by these bugs you're all busy crying about.
Yes well when the game works, it is fantastic.

When it doesn't... I've had the sound glitches (where most of the sound channels just go dead on a few maps like Lacang Dam, and Golmud Railway), the client lockups/crashes, the server crashes (less prevalent now), the server downtime, loss of stats (less prevalent now since server stability went up), slow stat updating, rubber banding, bad hit registration... there is a massive memory leak noticeable on a few maps where the lag and rubber banding gets worse as the round goes on. It's extremely noticeable on 64 player servers.

Yes well when the game works, it is fantastic.

When it doesn't... I've had the sound glitches (where most of the sound channels just go dead on a few maps like Lacang Dam, and Golmud Railway), the client lockups/crashes, the server crashes (less prevalent now), the server downtime, loss of stats (less prevalent now since server stability went up), slow stat updating, rubber banding, bad hit registration... there is a massive memory leak noticeable on a few maps where the lag and rubber banding gets worse as the round goes on. It's extremely noticeable on 64 player servers.

Just kidding. As a gamer myself I feel all of your frustration it's just that multiplayer games aren't my thing at all. Glaring glitches & bugs in single player games are enough to make me climb the walls.

lol

I picked up all the extra maps for BF3 a couple weeks ago for $16 and enjoying the crap out of it.

Once everyone has finished beta testing BF4 so maybe a year from now I'll look into it.

By that time the game will be stable and I'll probably be able to just grab a premium edition that will give me access to all the weapons anyways :p

And it will be cheaper!

You do know the model right? BF3 is worthless without servers and a community. The servers are rented from EA/DICE. Once EA decides they don't want to support the game anymore, they pull the plug on the servers and service and your hard earned $10 is worthless.
Also as far as early adopters goes, you'll be joining BF3 and BF4 late. You'll have the worst gear and generally someone who has played for 400+ hours already will take a lot of the fun out of it with gear you won't get for a while.
Your choice but being a late adopter isn't worth much in this model.

Your assumption is the person buying the game late doesn't know how to handle such a situation. That doesn't apply to every gamer. I am a late adopter to COD MW3 and BO2 and while I am only getting started I can kick as with any weapon I have because its not always about the weapons you have its about the skills and I can kick *** even with the crappiest of weapons on any COD game and odds are I could do the same with BF if I was a fan but for now am a COD fan. I leave BF to my son, he likes it more.

Back