Latest Galaxy S8 rumors: 20% more expensive than S7; will be unveiled at dedicated April event

midian182

Staff member

It’s been a busy few days in the world of Galaxy S8 rumors, with two different stories surfacing over the weekend. Various reports claim that Samsung’s flagship smartphone will be 20 percent more expensive than its S7 predecessor and it won’t be unveiled until April.

Firstly, the price. Out of the two rumors, it’s this one that seems the most likely to be accurate. As a way of making up for what happened with the Note 7, Samsung wants the S8 to be the best smartphone ever made. We’ve already heard that it could feature an all-screen design, virtual home button buried under the class, stereo speakers, USB Type-C, and Bluetooth 5, all of which don't come cheap.

The bottom line is that all the new technology is going to push up the price of the phone. Financial institution Goldman Sachs believes the cost of raw materials alone will mean the S8 is going to be 15 – 20 percent more expensive than the S7, which, as this year’s handset launched for $780 off-contract, means the Galaxy S8 could arrive at around the $900 mark.

As it has done with its other flagship phones, Samsung is expected to reveal the S8 on the eve of February’s Mobile World Congress. However, a new report claims the smartphone will instead be unveiled at a dedicated event taking place in New York during April.

This could be true, as previous rumors claim that Samsung delayed development of its latest S series while it worked on figuring out the cause of the Note 7’s battery issues - and how to avoid the same situation in the Galaxy S8.  Additionally, Samsung plans to release the results of the Note 7 investigation early next year. The company doesn’t want its findings to take attention away from the S8 and may feel that a later release date will be beneficial. 

Admittedly, it would be quite a surprise if the Galaxy S8 didn't make an appearance at MWC. Either way, we'll be at the event to find out what happens.

Permalink to story.

LOL. $900 bucks for a phone that looses the headphone jack, with a sealed battery, only curved screens, after the note 7 fiasco?

Man samsung really has lost their mind. I'm guessing theyll even come with 32GB storage and a microSD card, for $900.

The market is moving to mid range phones. $900 phones are a niche, a niche that isnt about to trust samsung again.

The crying over rumors is L o L.

In the mean time, the unlocked - "Universal" - S7 Edge has dropped to 599.

There's virtually no chance of me even considering one.
OH NO. I'm distressed to hear that, and I'm sure so are all the rest of us here. If Samsung gets read your post, they'll be inconsolable, they may even consider withdrawing the release S8 altogether. Even worse, it could drive them into selling all their shares, declaring bankruptcy and throwing themselves upon the mercy of... What's that other company's name again?.. Oh yes, I remember now, Apple.

LOL. $900 bucks for a phone that looses the headphone jack, with a sealed battery, only curved screens, after the note 7 fiasco?

Man samsung really has lost their mind. I'm guessing theyll even come with 32GB storage and a microSD card, for $900.

The market is moving to mid range phones. $900 phones are a niche, a niche that isnt about to trust samsung again.
And after all is said and done, they'll still sell like hotcakes.

And after all is said and done, they'll still sell like hotcakes.
At that price and with more and more carriers shying away from subsidizing prices? Doubtful.

Especially with removing the headphone jack on top of it. Guarantee samsung is going to put 32GB of storage in this thing, compared to the same price iphone that has 256GB. It wouldn't surprise me if sales tanked. These are not notes.

At that price and with more and more carriers shying away from subsidizing prices? Doubtful.

Especially with removing the headphone jack on top of it. Guarantee samsung is going to put 32GB of storage in this thing, compared to the same price iphone that has 256GB. It wouldn't surprise me if sales tanked. These are not notes.
The thing being, companies that are purely profit driven like Samsung, and all other monolithic companies, everything else being secondary, constantly regurgitate a whole lot of rhetorical marketing BS, which costs millions, need to recoup that cost and still show a staggering profit. We, the gullible consumer, are all too eager to lap it all up and thank them for all their BS by throwing our money at them. That's the power of marketing and the S8 will sell in droves, FACT, but will it be worth the RRP? Don't be ridiculous, FACT, irrespective of whether it has removable batteries, headphone jack, expandable storage and wotnot... another FACT.

OH NO. I'm distressed to hear that, and I'm sure so are all the rest of us here. If Samsung gets read your post, they'll be inconsolable, they may even consider withdrawing the release S8 altogether. Even worse, it could drive them into selling all their shares, declaring bankruptcy and throwing themselves upon the mercy of... What's that other company's name again?.. Oh yes, I remember now, Apple.

Do you want a Like from me for your comment?

I'll give you one.

I always give poor people a $1 if they ask.

Do you want a Like from me for your comment?

I'll give you one.

I always give poor people a $1 if they ask.
The problem is you make them ask instead of just giving him the dollar you just promised.

Went back to my good old note 2 a few months ago after my note 4 failed..

Can't say I notice much difference, and does what I need it to do and has a head phone Jack, removable battery and sd card slot

Phones peaked years ago

Yeah, I'm almost to the point of having my phone completely paid off...my wife asked if I wanted to upgrade and I responded, "I really don't have anything to upgrade to as far as phones and, for the most part, I like mine."

I would look into a different plan or carrier for sure.

Back