Latest Humble Bundle offers Saints Row, Darksiders, Metro 2033, more

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Previously limited to indie games, the Humble Bundle has teamed up with THQ to offer the ailing publisher's games for a price you can't refuse. Using the familiar pay-what-you-want model we've seen during a dozen other promotions, the Humble Bundle is serving up six THQ titles for as little as a dollar, including Darksiders, Metro 2033, Red Faction: Armageddon, Company of Heroes, CoH: Opposing Fronts and CoH: Tales of Valor.

If you're willing to spend a little more and match the average cash submission (currently $5.49), you'll also receive a copy of Saints Row: The Third. Additionally, no matter how much you spend, you'll receive official soundtracks for five of the games (Saints Row, Darksiders, Red Faction and two CoH albums). The Humble Bundle says that's a total value of around $190, which seems high, but Saints Row: The Third alone is $40 on Steam.

It's somewhat of a given, but we should note that the THQ games are only available for Windows users willing to redeem Steam keys, whereas most previous bundles have been cross-platform and available in DRM-free downloads, with Steam being optional. It's probably also worth mentioning that the Humble Bundle has a reputation for adding extra games partway through the event, so you may want to get in before the average price increases. We wouldn't be surprised if some Warhammer titles were added, especially Space Marine.

As usual, you can split your PayPal, Amazon or Google payment between the Humble organizers, THQ and charity (the Electronic Frontier Foundation is notably absent this time around, but Child's Play and the Red Cross are listed). So far, over 165,000 bundles have been sold for a total of nearly $1 million, with the top spender offering $1,000 and many others sending $100 to $600. The event ends in a little under two weeks.

Darksiders pic via Deviantart

Permalink to story.

Sheesh I just bought the last one with RF: A and metro 2033, and I might buy this one too. sheesh these deals.

Wow - I own all the games but I just bought this so I can gift it later.

This is how software should be sold. Now before someone starts whining about "OH NO..we wouldn't make the millions we are now!" Remember..software is a renewable resource. You have an infinite inventory. More people would pay a lower price and get it sooner than wait till the price drops on Steam and the such. Also, you would have a happier customer base ready to buy the next new product as soon as it is ready and you would practically eliminate that feeling of wasting $60 on a game you find out you do not like. As you can see too, people would buy it for gifting as well.

Already own all but 1 of those games (Red Faction Armageddon) but like the games THQ makes and looking forward to Metro Last Light and Company of Heroes 2. Bought the bundle to support the developer anyway :) We need more companies like THQ making games, rather than COD clones.

Already own a few of these games, but bought it anyway to support the process and the developer. Plus a portion goes to charity.

Love these Humble Bumble packs. Even if I never play any of the games, $20 is nothing to me and supports gaming and good causes. Hell, I spend 3 times on that on any given night just drinking beers with my friends.

This is how software should be sold. Now before someone starts whining about "OH NO..we wouldn't make the millions we are now!" Remember..software is a renewable resource. You have an infinite inventory. More people would pay a lower price and get it sooner than wait till the price drops on Steam and the such. Also, you would have a happier customer base ready to buy the next new product as soon as it is ready and you would practically eliminate that feeling of wasting $60 on a game you find out you do not like. As you can see too, people would buy it for gifting as well.

Also notice how much they've already MADE from the bundle alone (2.5 million and rising)! I'm sure a lot of that has gone to the charity, but I at least like to do the even split

Based on the default split (which is what most people will probably tend to do) they've made $1.49 million for THQ. It's a lot of money but probably not that much considering the resources put into making these games.

Based on the default split (which is what most people will probably tend to do) they've made $1.49 million for THQ. It's a lot of money but probably not that much considering the resources put into making these games.

That's true, but a lot of these games are no longer selling, so to make 1.49 million of games that were made years ago.. I see it as a win win for dev/user.

Well, that's great news. Like the others I own some of these, but the others are certainly a bargain in more ways than one.

Thank You Techspot.

Before I buy this, I need to know: if I check giftable code, will I be able to gift certain games (the ones I already own) to someone and keep the other games?

Saints row the Third is the only key that is separate the others are all one steam key.

Before I buy this, I need to know: if I check giftable code, will I be able to gift certain games (the ones I already own) to someone and keep the other games?
As far as I know, you can't. The cd key is one for the whole bundle, except for Saints Row, which has a separated cd key.

Thats true. But in definition sequel =/= rehash. Definition doesnt really apply to COD and a few other series though, where sequel=rehash.

Back