TechSpot

Latitude E6420 - what would cause the screen to do this?!

By aegisrose
Aug 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello Forum,
    I received a laptop support request from one of my users... the user insists that there was no "drops" or "water incidents" or "yanking by the screen side". I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and thought I'd ask the community.
    What would cause something like this on a laptop monitor?
    [​IMG]

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +184

Bad video chip to say the least . He maybe right . I have seen screens do this to. Either way not a cheap fix .If fixed at all.

3. alexe3831

alexe3831 TS Enthusiast Posts: 122

I agree with Cobalt

4. aegisrose

aegisrose TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

Thanks for the response...

Here's an update: We called Dell (workstation still under warranty) and they said that it looked like accidental damage. They sent a tech out to site, whom replaced the LCD screen, and it worked. They were polite about it, but firm that when screens "bleed" like that (diagonally and drippy) it's physical damage and not hardware related.

5. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +184

Well glad to hear it was under warranty and they fixed it.

6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

Yes, something heavy was placed on the closed laptop's top, and excessive pressure damaged the display... very common:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.