TechSpot

Lax photo permissions on iOS, Android may lead to FTC investigation

By Rick
Mar 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Just last week, the New York Times discovered that iOS apps can silently access and copy photos from a user's photo library to a remote server with little to stand…

Read the whole story

2. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

So, I'm kinda curious, how does this compare to PC and mac applications? Do desktop OS's sufficiently protect user data? Or can you make an application that will extract photos on them too? I just always thought it was the end user responsibility to sufficiently research applications before allowing them on your computer.

3. It's an interesting dichotomy, for sure.

I think the distinction is that android/ios is a closed box by which we directly insert personal data (contacts/sms/calendar..). Also, because all these actions are taken through the phone APIs.

If nothing else, Android and Apple should have learnt from the lesson from Microsoft that developers should rarely be trusted. The simple solution is for the phone to provide mock data (eg empty contact list, sms and calendar) to apps, unless it has explicitly been authorised. These all-or-nothing permissions are stupid, and only encourages users to throw away their privacy.

I know there are some custom firmwares that allow this, but it really should be an aspect of the official software.

4. So it is your responsibility? Yes the same way it is your responsibility to lock a door not present in a house. You would not sell a house without a door so why would you sell a phone without one. The ftc should also force imac maker apple to put a camera cover on i macs. Just like the peep hole cover so we don't get the indian tech guy look at my naked wife getting ready for shower.

5. I think the senator needs to STFU.
    A flaw found in technology does not require a massive investigation to take place.

When will people learn that technology is never perfect. If it is, then why are there still developments happening right now. Us human's created this technology and we all know how perfect humans are.

And the example above about selling the house with no doors was the worst analogy. Of course no one is going to buy a house without any doors. But that's not even a close analogy to this situation. It's more like creating a massive mansion, so big in fact that people get lost in there. But someone who purposely went searching for a fault found a tiny hole that he can slip a picture through the wall. Where 99% of the people living in the castle would and will never find where it is even if they wanted too.

I'm sure IOS and Android still have many faults. In fact I hope they do because it would be terrible if they have already reached their peak.

6. The answer is yes. Apple iTunes and PC Windows both have been doing it for years. People just stopped caring. Google Android at least told you it could happen.

7. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 640   +56

Hmmm...this thought just occurred to me; 'they' grab information whether it be an app, super-cookie, sneaky advertising, or anything involving collecting data on us against our wishes (ie privacy violation) and many of 'us' have the nerve to go and grab a file or two that doesn't really belong us. Hmmm... hypocrites much?

8. @Timonius
    Fail point is EPIC FAIL!

9. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Tim youre half right on your comment. Some ppl do "take" files (movies, music, ect) and some dont. What the article is stating is that a good chunk of android/IOS phones do take and send your pics. I feel bad for those ppl who have erotic pics on their phone of them and their significant other. They have been collecting data on us for many many years. Just take photos that youre not willing to share with strangers. They still make digital cameras...so that might be away to get around them taking your photos. Just dont use your phone camera lol.