LCD cable short circuit

By hellsbel
Jan 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Well hello,
    a few days ago I stumbled on my own feet and my laptop slipped out of my hands, breaking the hinges. until I will get new parts, I decided to still use it. today, while watching a movie, the lid curved back a little, leaving me with a white screen. adjusting the lid back fixed the problem, although it happened everal more times, with either white or blavk screen. later, forgetting the hinge issue I laid it down on the table, when it seemed to crash and shut itself down. after turning it on again I saw a flash where the lcd cable goes and smelled something burning.
    now, the screen is black, when turned on the vent starts in about 10seconds and after 29-30 seconds it shuts down again. the cable also obviously looks burnt.
    so, the questions are:
    can I fix the cable?
    would replacing it help?
    could the short circuit have damaged other hardware?
    is it even a cable issue that makes the shutdowns appear?

I have a dell latitude e4300
    and I would love the one helping me out till I die
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,383   +607

Have you got an external monitor/tv to plug it into to test?
  3. hellsbel

hellsbel Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yeah, we tried. it said no signal.
    what worries me is the instant shutdown. can I try else?

JUST TO CLARIFY-
    ventilation starts working in about then seconds after hitting the power button and in about twenty more seconds the laptop shuts down without a warning/there are no beeps to follow.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

You have fried the motherboard... Is it time for a new laptop? The repair cost on this may be way too high

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.