LCD Monitor issues - VGA to DVI Adapter not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hp dv6700se laptop that I'm trying to connect to my 24" Dell LCD monitor through DVI. For some reason it goes into Power Saving Mode when connecting it to the DVI port.

First bought the VGA female to DVI adapter (using VGA Cable) and then went ahead and bought the VGA male to DVI Female (using DVI Cable). Both give me the same problems.

I downloaded all the drivers for my video card from intel and that hasn't fixed the problem either. The video card is an Mobile Intel Express 965 chipset

Any ideas?

The only thing I've been able to find out about this notebook is that it has VGA output, with optional HDMI.

I don't think you can convert analog output (VGA) to digital (DVI). It works the other way around.

Methinks you need to use VGA to VGA. But as always, wait for a second opinion, and your results of course, may vary

What is the purpose of the VGA to DVI adapter then? It should be able to work....

I'm currently using the laptop with a VGA cable, but the quality is an issue especially with graphics, games, etc..

Correction: the laptop model is the HP DV 6700 series, exact model: dv6985se. Not sure why the different model numbers?

If you have HDMI out, get a HDMI->DVI cable. You can't take VGA and make it DVI without some intelligent circuitry in there. Their purpose is probably just to extend a line.

If you don't have HDMI out, your only real option is to use the VGA in on the monitor and accept the crap quality. The other option is to get an external video card...

What is the purpose of the VGA to DVI adapter then? It should be able to work....
Well, not really. DVI to VGA adapters are for converting digital signals to analog use, not the other way around. Most KVM switchers only work with VGA, and many old monitors only have VGA inputs, thus the purpose.

Since all monitors have a VGA input, it's a safe bet on the part of the computer manufacturers, that if they're going to provide one video output, it might as well be VGA. Since your laptop is billed as an "entertainment" model, it makes sense that the digital output would be HDMI, since that's all Hi-Def TVs have. Well, they have VGA too.

In any event, my latest machine based on the Intel H55 chipset, has VGA, DVI, HDMI, and "Display Port" outputs, right off the board's integrated graphics. It's a desktop though. A couple of weeks back we had a rousing discussion on whether the "desktop is doomed to irrelevancy", at this point I'm thinking, "NOT".

Unfortunately, I don't have the HDMI output on my laptop. :( Guess I have to stick with VGA or get an external video card?

The HDMI output was billed as "optional" with your unit. IDK if that's provided via a different motherboard, or an add-in card. Best to shoot an Email to HP support for more info,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back