Leaked GeForce GTX 1080 3DMark performance points to 25% advantage over GTX 980 Ti

Scorpus

Staff member

Nvidia is set to announce their new Pascal-based GeForce graphics cards Friday night (6pm PT via Twitch), including a flagship card that's expected to be called the GTX 1080. But before Nvidia can even reveal the specifications of the card, leaked 3DMark benchmarks have been posted by VideoCardz.

Update #2: No need for leaks anymore, official specs and info on the new GeForce GTX 1080 and GeForce GTX 1070 now available here:

Update: Nvidia's launch is being livestreamed now, more updated on the way:

In 3DMark 11's performance benchmark, the purported GeForce GTX 1080 posted a graphics score of 27,683, while in 3DMark's Fire Strike Extreme benchmark, the card scored 10,102. Compared to a stock-clocked GTX 980 Ti, the GTX 1080's performance is around 25% faster, although overclocking the 980 Ti can close that gap.

3DMark gives us a sneak peak of the card's specifications, too. We're looking at 8 GB of GDDR5X with an effective clock speed around 10,000 MHz (320 GB/s), and a core clock speed that can boost up to a huge 1.8 GHz. The GPU featured on the GTX 1080's board is a Pascal-based GP104 built on a 16nm process, so it's not the fully unlocked GP100 seen on the Tesla P100.

These performance figures and specifications won't be confirmed until the card is revealed some 24 hours from now, so there is a chance that the 3DMark scores leaked by VideoCardz are from an overclocked GTX 1080, although Pascal is still expected to bring a significant increase in performance.

Tomorrow's announcement is set to be a 'soft launch' for the new Pascal GeForce cards, with actual availability scheduled for a later date. In any case, it will be good to finally get some information on what the next generation of graphics cards will involve and what AMD will have to compete against in 2016.

Permalink to story.

Me too, although makes me sad that my 980 Ti is so far superseded after less than a year
I doubt that the difference will be that visible in the end. The higher TMU count of the GTX 980Ti's GM200 should give it an advantage in texture fill for high resolution gaming/FSAA/DSR and make GP104's gains more in the 1920x1200/1080 and 2560x1440/1600 realm. GP104, after all, is a successor to the GTX 980's GM104, not the big die 980Ti/Titan X.

After all the hype, and lofty claims about powering VR/4K, a 25% performance increase is entirely underwhelming. In the age of 10% bumps, it's not terrible... but it's hardly revolutionary. I was expecting to buy one single-GPU card that could handle VR/4K. It takes a 980 (Ti) SLI rig to pull that off, so I don't see how a 25% improvement on the 980 Ti can accomplish this. Yeah... I'm disappointed. :p

Me too, although makes me sad that my 980 Ti is so far superseded after less than a year
I doubt that the difference will be that visible in the end. The higher TMU count of the GTX 980Ti's GM200 should give it an advantage in texture fill for high resolution gaming/FSAA/DSR and make GP104's gains more in the 1920x1200/1080 and 2560x1440/1600 realm. GP104, after all, is a successor to the GTX 980's GM104, not the big die 980Ti/Titan X.

The 1080 should be compared to the 980 not the 980Ti. The improvements are then much more impressive. The high end Pascal 1080 Ti and Titan will come later.

Hopefully tomorrow clarifies what exactly we are looking at here, and if you consider the GTX 980 scores just shy of 18,000 in 3DMark 11 I'd say 27,000+ is not bad at all, more like a 50% increase in performance if you are to compare it to the GM104, not bad at all really.

570MHz core clock??? Wow, Nvidia must be regressing here! These click bait articles are so full of misinformation.

After all the hype, and lofty claims about powering VR/4K, a 25% performance increase is entirely underwhelming. In the age of 10% bumps, it's not terrible... but it's hardly revolutionary. I was expecting to buy one single-GPU card that could handle VR/4K. It takes a 980 (Ti) SLI rig to pull that off, so I don't see how a 25% improvement on the 980 Ti can accomplish this. Yeah... I'm disappointed. :p

As others have said the 1080 or GP104 replaces the GTX 980. The GP 104 will also power the GTX 1070. If the 1080 is 25% faster than the 980ti that means the 1070 will be 5-10% faster at a $350+/- price point. That's a massive increase in performance per dollar. Depending on TDP and features these cards are shaping up to be a great value compared to current GPUs. A year or so from now a 1080ti will launch and will probably be about 75% more powerful than the 980ti. This is how Nvidia launches have gone since the GTX 680. They're not going to change now.

I was always a firm believer that 60fps 4K on a single card at higher or the highest settings was still a ways off, and it seems I'm right. I have my doubts that even by Volta/(the AMD family then) 4K 60fps at higher settings with a single card won't be plausible.

I remember it took forever until we had a single card that could power most games at higher settings at 1080P with 60fps.

I dont see how is that a 25% more
It is barley above a 980Ti so, I dont think a 1080 will beat or convince someone to early adopt this hype "next gen"

As others have said the 1080 or GP104 replaces the GTX 980. The GP 104 will also power the GTX 1070. If the 1080 is 25% faster than the 980ti that means the 1070 will be 5-10% faster at a $350+/- price point. That's a massive increase in performance per dollar. Depending on TDP and features these cards are shaping up to be a great value compared to current GPUs. A year or so from now a 1080ti will launch and will probably be about 75% more powerful than the 980ti. This is how Nvidia launches have gone since the GTX 680. They're not going to change now.

I don't care much about performance per dollar, to be honest. I just want the best Single-GPU card per generation, and - as usual - Nvidia won't let me have it until they've milked the market with lesser products first. I have to wait 6-12 months longer to buy the top of the line, and by then... we're already well on our way to the next generation! I'm always hoping AMD will put some pressure on Nvidia to release the Ti sooner, but... yeah. Waiting for Ti! :)

The thing is, it's 25% faster than a stock 980 ti. The 1080 is supposedly clocked at 1860mhz if you look at the Videocardz article. There are already 980 ti's on 3dmark's page that match or beat this score at 1400-1500mhz.

The thing is, it's 25% faster than a stock 980 ti. The 1080 is supposedly clocked at 1860mhz if you look at the Videocardz article. There are already 980 ti's on 3dmark's page that match or beat this score at 1400-1500mhz.

This being one of them. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10936599

True that, but we haven't seen what the OC 1080 looks like yet. I'm fairly sure they'll OC just as well, if not even better (smaller die size 'n all). It will be interesting to see how it fares. I don't understand why people are still using 3dmark 11, though. DX12 is the name of game now. :)

It's already pushing "1860mhz" OC pretty sure that's not just boost clocks.

http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2016/05/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-FireStrike-Extreme-VC.png

Just for comparison. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6331463

It is good to see the progress in general. But for the company that has been advertising its Pascal platform for so long as something that would have 10 times the performance of Maxwell, to arrive with something that adds 25% in performance. That's a whole new shine on the word "underwhelming".

I guess this means that the GTX 1080 is also faster than a Titan X. After all, the 980Ti is based off the same GPU as the Titan minus half the RAM and some disabled CUDA cores. We'll know for certain once the actually silicon is out in the wilds (and in gaming PCs).

So we'v got 980Ti user here disappointed that their cards have so quickly been surpassed and users here disappointed that this 1080 didn't go far enough. ? damn.
Almost all of you guys are far more knowledgeable than me when it come to all this, but even I can see( as has been pointed out) how the 1080 is meant to replace the 980, not the 980 Ti. The fact that it beats the Ti version, is just icing on the cake really.
I also can't can't see how one can be let down by Nvidia releasing midrange cards first. just because you want to own the generation's top dog, and reign supreme for as long as possible over the lesser cards? Newer generations are supposed to be better, and cheaper. you should be happy. If you really don't care about price/performance, this is an easy problem to solve. Just keep buying the latest. who cares if it's not the Ti or whatever model?
me? I'm over on the AMD camp wondering why I've been waiting for polaris, when I could have probably picked up a 290x years ago and basically be in the same place but for a larger power supply. I mean, I like my old 500w PS(first gen 500w pc power&cooling silencer), but would I wait yrs again just for so I don"t have to get a larger unit? nope.(I said, "larger unit")

Back