Leaked Griffin parts list suggests Apple will unveil iPad HD

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Leaked parts listings from accessory manufacturers Griffin and Belkin suggest that the next generation tablet from Apple will be called the iPad HD. The naming scheme makes a lot of sense based on the expected Retina Display the iPad will include but if history has taught us anything, nothing is solid until Tim Cook says so.

Gizmodo received a tip from Michael Fonfara that the manufacturers are listing the device as the iPad HD in inventory. Fonfara included a purported screenshot to back up his claims and at this point in the game, it isn’t unreasonable to think that accessory manufacturers might have received product dimensions and marketing information from Apple to prepare their wares.

parts ipad apple ipad 3 ipad hd

Furthermore, the gadget blog received a report from an anonymous reader showing a device known as the iPad HD connecting to a site as early as April 2011. The data supposedly shows a screen resolution of 2,048 x 1,536 and was captured using an application called Tapatalk that runs on iOS, Android and Blackberry.

Despite seeming extremely plausible, we encourage readers to digest this rumor with a grain of salt. As we have seen in the past, case manufacturers don’t always get it right either. If you recall with the iPhone 4S, there were multiple case designs showing up online that suggested we would see a totally redesigned iPhone 5. As we all know, that never came to fruition.

Permalink to story.

I don't think it'll be called the iPad HD. I mean really, that just does not come off as Apple's style at all. None of their other devices that met Retina Display criteria were marketed with the "HD" moniker so why would they start now?

None of their other products (ipad, ipod, iphone etc) were HD ie 720p or greater - retina was just a clever marketing term for pixel density, not the amount of pixels

Yeh I'm still peeved over the Iphone 4S fiasco. Us existing Iphone 4 owners got screwed on that one! Also I refuse to wait till October for the actual Iphone 5 so Galaxy Note 5.3 inch super amoled screen phone for me. It will be the Ipad 3 with a HD screen, techically above 1080p and thank God for that. We have enough of those 1080p crap screens out now. I'm waiting on 4K tv and displays next. BTW my desktop res is 2560 x 1600 so yeh I want better than the mainstream.

Guest said:
None of their other products (ipad, ipod, iphone etc) were HD ie 720p or greater - retina was just a clever marketing term for pixel density, not the amount of pixels
A marketing term, just like "HD" ;)

HD is not a marketing term. It stands for High Definition. If HD is a marketing term, than what would one consider SD (Standard Definition)?

Back