TechSpot

Leaked roadmap shows Intel 530 SSDs with SandForce controllers

By Rick
Jan 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. VR-Zone has once again shared (Chinese) a possible leaked Intel roadmap, this time showing an Intel "530 series" SSD on the horizon. According to the leaked slide, 80GB and 180GB 530 models could appear as soon as Q1 this year. 2.5"...

Read more

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

How do the Intel 700 series SSDs compare to 500? Is it just phantom-ware peace of mind or is there a real reliability difference?

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

I thought the 520 series had custom Sandforce controllers with Intel optimized firmware. What am I missing?

4. PC EliTiST

PC EliTiST TS Rookie Posts: 44

You aren't missing anything. Just get a Samsung 830/840 and you're good to go.

5. jonjonjon

jonjonjon TS Rookie Posts: 18

Come on intel. make your own controller. stop using a 2 year old controller that has to rely on compression. if samsung can do it why cant you?

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Using third-party controllers is actually a relatively new thing for Intel -- I believe they were using their own hardware a couple of years ago with the X25, X18 and prior.

7. jonjonjon

jonjonjon TS Rookie Posts: 18

yea but I still don't get it. your telling me intel who spent 10 billion last year on r&d can't make a better controller then a 2 year old sandforce controller? supposedly they had to work with sandforce and have their own custom firmware because they weren't happy with the sandforce bsod issues. we are talking about intel's enthusiast ssd and it makes no sense. I expect more from intel this is what I would expect from an amd ssd.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.