Leaks suggest there won't be an AMD Radeon RX 8800 or 8900

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: With the RDNA 3 generation of graphics cards, AMD essentially conceded the high-end performance battle to Nvidia. New information suggests that Team Red also intends to let Nvidia dominate the upcoming round in the enthusiast tier. This decision may be linked to AI hardware, which is increasingly competing with gaming GPUs for semiconductor resources.

Prolific leakers recently claimed that AMD has canceled the forthcoming Navi 41 and Navi 42 GPUs. If these rumors prove accurate, AMD's RDNA 4 generation of graphics cards won't offer high-end models, focusing instead on the mid-range market.

Three sources told Kepler_L2 that the Navi 4-based cards will feature a selection similar to RDNA 1 and Polaris. The most potent consumer RDNA 1 GPU is the Radeon RX 5700 XT, while the two following generations included products in higher tiers like the 6800, 6900, 6950, 7800, and 7900. Furthermore, All The Watts reported that the upcoming Navi chips only encompass Navi 43 and Navi 44. The GPUs could feature in future products like the RX 8700, 8600, and 8500.

As for why, Bits And Chips claims AMD is focusing its limited allocation of TSMC semiconductors on building more FPGA and GPGPU chips, indicating the company is sacrificing gaming products for AI. The AI boom brought Nvidia over $10 billion in revenue last quarter. Consequently, the company has diverted some of its manufacturing allocation away from flagship GeForce RTX 4090 cards toward the immensely profitable H100 AI GPUs.

Recently, tech companies have warned that the surge in demand for AI server hardware might lead to fresh GPU shortages. Nvidia and TSMC attribute the issue to a scarcity of chip-on-wafer-on-substrate packaging – a vital yet costly component in the AI hardware manufacturing process.

The Radeon RX 8000 series is meant to rival Nvidia's forthcoming RTX 5000 series. Both are anticipated to debut in 2024, but the release of Nvidia's cards might be delayed until 2025. Information regarding performance is limited, but the GeForce RTX 5000, which utilizes TSMC's 3nm process node, could offer significant enhancements over current Ada Lovelace GPUs.

Should AMD fail to match Nvidia's high-end next-gen offerings, the mid-tier segment will arguably become even more critical for sales. Eight out of the ten most popular GPUs in the August 2023 Steam hardware survey are midrange, and all have been on the market for over two years.

Permalink to story.

Speculation altogether...

Other rumors are pointing out to AMD just releasing the top GPU and leaving the other tier to previous gen, which makes way more sense.

By the way, AMD is having major partnership with Sony and Microsoft. Their goal is to be the reference for gamemakers, which is starting to happen.

By the way, Nvidia is just too busy selling Compute GPUs than caring about dGPU for gaming anymore.

Other rumors are pointing out to AMD just releasing the top GPU and leaving the other tier to previous gen, which makes way more sense.

By the way, AMD is having major partnership with Sony and Microsoft. Their goal is to be the reference for gamemakers, which is starting to happen.

By the way, Nvidia is just too busy selling Compute GPUs than caring about dGPU for gaming anymore.
The modularity of their GPU designs with chiptlets makes think the idea of them not release top tier GPUs is really dumb. There is the fact that the 4090's have a really high return return rate and you can find them used, or open box, very easily. I think consumers are starting to realize that they don't want $1500+ GPUs. They don't want $1000 GPUs.

AMD could certainly make a GPU and just slap a tons of chiplets on it but what actually sells? If AMD and nVidia want to sell cards at a price higher than $500 dollars they aren't going to be selling them to basic consumers. I have a feeling we'll see the RX7700 under $400 after Christmas.

Either way, the 7700 and 7800 are selling like crazy which really makes you ask the question, what does the market want? Yeah, they can make $1000+ consumer GPUs but are consumers going to want them? I've been watching the 7900xt and xtx slowly drop in price since it was released. Even with constant price drops, availability has never been a problem.

Well internal sources say N41 and N42 are cancelled because they are having trouble getting the complex chiplet design to provide better performance than N31/N32. RDNA4's design is far more complex than RDNA3. In order to get it to work and provide the performance uplift will cost them not only a lot of money, but push RDNA5 back. N43 on the other hand is going very well and expect this card to offer much stronger performance than the garbage class 7600. In fact it could easily beat 7700XT in raster and will show massive gains in RT. N43 could be out mid 20224.

RDNA5 is on track too and the high end cards will make and appearance again in N51/N52 possibly late 2025. Don't foprget Blackwell is coming out until 2025 either, so not having a high end RDNA4 won;t be much of a problem. If AMD is desperate they could do an RDNA3+ refresh.

RDNA5 is on track too and the high end cards will make and appearance again in N51/N52 possibly late 2025. Don't foprget Blackwell is coming out until 2025 either, so not having a high end RDNA4 won;t be much of a problem. If AMD is desperate they could do an RDNA3+ refresh.
From what I've been hearing, the refresh is internally called RDNA3.5. For as much that does get leaked, I haven't been able to find out anymore about it that AMD is working on a fixed for RDNA3 that didn't allow that didn't allow the cards to clock as high as they were expecting. That said, I think people would rather have a price drop across the board than have an RDNA3.5 refresh. Someone I talked to said they were hoping to have the hardware fix released for the 7800/7700 series cards but that didn't happen. The most that I can gather is that the hardware flaw in RDNA3 is much hardware to fix than anyone predicted. It was also suggested to me that RDNA3.5 would be an enterprise only part

This rumor has been around for over a month

https://www.techpowerup.com/312116/amd-retreating-from-enthusiast-graphics-segment-with-rdna4?cp=4

If true, its a bad idea, it didnt work well for rDNA1 or polaris, sales wise.
The modularity of their GPU designs with chiptlets makes think the idea of them not release top tier GPUs is really dumb. There is the fact that the 4090's have a really high return return rate and you can find them used, or open box, very easily. I think consumers are starting to realize that they don't want $1500+ GPUs. They don't want $1000 GPUs.

AMD could certainly make a GPU and just slap a tons of chiplets on it but what actually sells? If AMD and nVidia want to sell cards at a price higher than $500 dollars they aren't going to be selling them to basic consumers. I have a feeling we'll see the RX7700 under $400 after Christmas.

Either way, the 7700 and 7800 are selling like crazy which really makes you ask the question, what does the market want? Yeah, they can make $1000+ consumer GPUs but are consumers going to want them? I've been watching the 7900xt and xtx slowly drop in price since it was released. Even with constant price drops, availability has never been a problem.
The market obviously loved upper mid range, the 7700 and 7800 are the same market as the hot button 1070/1070ti/1080 were. That being said, just because they made more then 5 7900xtx GPUs doesnt mean demand isnt there. I think its more along the lines of the enthusiast class being saturated with GPUs people WAY overpaid for, or waited for and jsut got months ago for well below MSRP, and are not willing to put another $1k+ for a 20% uplift.

Correct choice.

Amd silently left laptop gpu market. According to latest sells data Nvidia now has 94% laptop gpu market. Which is just absurd!!!! 84% Dekstop gpu market. Switch sold more than ps5+xbox x/s combined.

Amd is decadeds behind in this tech field. Better focus on AI and make some money then come back in 5-10 years later to fight.

If true, its a bad idea, it didnt work well for rDNA1 or polaris, sales wise.
Looking at stats, I'd say that Polaris and RDNA1 worked reasonably well. I'd say that AMD's major problem is continuing to put pressure on NVIDIA over time. That said, I'm sure that consumer GPUs are the least important products in AMD's stack.

The rumor makes sense, TSMC mentioned problems scaling production capacity to keep up with demand for GPUs (AI).

It makes more sense to use the contracted capacity slice to produce high-margin compute GPUs instead of gaming products...

Never had any xx80 tier cards before, so this doesnt affect me much other than the price. Lets hope that these xx70 an xx60 cards dont get new price belongs to xx80 tier cards..

Correct choice.

Amd silently left laptop gpu market. According to latest sells data Nvidia now has 94% laptop gpu market. Which is just absurd!!!! 84% Dekstop gpu market. Switch sold more than ps5+xbox x/s combined.

Your percentages are total BS. Intel owns both laptop and desktop GPU markets by wide margin. Guess why? Then guess why AMD "left laptop GPU market" and why "Intel has never been there" :facepalm:

There are now many handhelds to compete against Switch and most have AMD hardware.

The 4090 might be a 4 to 5 year old card for some. I am predicting the same performance per dollar in a q1/2025 with a natural efficiency deltas and added feature sets that this culprit of an ai might provide across the stack succesions.
Update I hope I am wrong.

Lol. I have a "leaked" image on my pc from the same leakers but from before the 40 and 7000 series came out that claims the 7900 xt will have a 256 bit bus and 16gb of memory, and the 4070 will also have a 256 bit bus with 16gb of memory. The same leak also says the 7900 xt will be $1499 and the 4090 will be $1199, well we all know how accurate that is, don't we? The leak also said the 4060 would have a 192 bit bus with 12gb of memory and the 7800 xt would also have 12gb with a 192 bit bus, yet the 7800 xt is 256 bit with 16gb and the 4060 is 128 bit with 8gb. My point is that the word "leak" is just code for lies, and those lies are made up by fanboys who don't want the company they fanboy over to be beaten by the company they don't.

It's blindingly obvious that this and everything else these people leak is fake fanboy crap, why people who consider themselves real tech reporters would report on this is beyond me.

Your percentages are total BS. Intel owns both laptop and desktop GPU markets by wide margin. Guess why? Then guess why AMD "left laptop GPU market" and why "Intel has never been there" :facepalm:

There are now many handhelds to compete against Switch and most have AMD hardware.
Latest JP Morgan data. I said "Gpu" not apu or igp. Don't worry, with rdna4 amd started the.plan of leaving gpu dekstop market too. 😁
Amd apu handhelds!? How many did they sell 100k or something!? Switch is 100 million + sold.

Latest JP Morgan data. I said "Gpu" not apu or igp. Don't worry, with rdna4 amd started the.plan of leaving gpu dekstop market too. 😁
Amd apu handhelds!? How many did they sell 100k or something!? Switch is 100 million + sold.
JP Morgan is reporting false data then. FYI, IGP and APU are included in GPU shipments. More accurate data
Total-PC-GPU-Market-Segment-_-JPR-_1.jpg

From https://wccftech.com/gpu-market-reb...a-intel-increased-shipments-discrete-gpus-up/

Intel 62%, Nvidia 18%, AMD 14%. That's how it goes.

FYI, more AMD releases laptop APUs, less AMD sells discrete GPUs for laptops. Same for desktop. Nvidia does not have integrated solutions so every Nvidia GPU, no matter how crap, goes into discrete share. And AMD gained share partially because Ryzen 7000 series have IGP so that counts as GPU ;)

Just released so not much, yet.

At the beginning of the year, Steamdeck had already sold more than 3 million units. But there are many other models.

JP Morgan is reporting false data then. FYI, IGP and APU are included in GPU shipments. More accurate data

From https://wccftech.com/gpu-market-reb...a-intel-increased-shipments-discrete-gpus-up/

FYI, more AMD releases laptop APUs, less AMD sells discrete GPUs for laptops. Same for desktop. Nvidia does not have integrated solutions so every Nvidia GPU, no matter how crap, goes into discrete share. And AMD gained share partially because Ryzen 7000 series have IGP so that counts as GPU ;)

😂🤣 U jst posted the Jp Morgan chart and called it fake!!! 😆😆
Does not change the fact
From same JP morgan
Dekstop Gpu Nvidia 84%
Laptop Gpu Nvidia 94%

Might be worth noting that although intel and nvidia do hold the higher share, sales from all three are down from this time last year. Also pointing out that amd's market share has gone up at the moment while nvidia's and intel's has gone down.

"Overall & dGPU/iGPU Market Share For Q2 2023

It is reported that AMD's overall market share increased by 1.2% whereas Intel & NVIDIA declined by -0.4% and -0.8%, respectively. This was mainly due to AMD witnessing a major GPU shipments increase during Q2 of 22.9% whereas Intel and NVIDIA rose by 11.7% and 7.5%, respectively."

Back