TechSpot

Leap Motion reveals super-accurate gesture control system for $70

By Jos
May 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A San Francisco startup called Leap Motion is showing off a new device it believes will be the future of gesture-based controls. At first glance their system does pretty much...

Read the whole story

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +388

impressive. especially the whole thing about solving "unsolvable" algorithms.

3. spectrenad

spectrenad TS Rookie Posts: 81   +16

but if it can only track small objetcs like hands and pens, it has a different purpose than kinect. you need to be closer to the sensor and you can't use your whole body to interact. but it still looks nice.

4. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Yes well, I think most of us don't have enough space to dance to get our computer to scroll the screen.

Personally, I find this very interesting, might buy one if it gets a good rapport.

5. Problem is, as with anything like this, lag between action and result.

Try playing a high-performance FPS online where split-second actions define your win or loss. In single-player performance, sure. This would rock. But when you're reacting against a team of 24+ who're out to get you? Sorry, need to see real-world results or this is so much of a specialized application rather than "for everyone."

6. I don't think "For everyone" means people who regularly play multiplayer first person shooters. The ability to do so won't make or break this product. The ability to replace a mouse at a workstation would be much appreciated by myself and many others I work with.

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,341   +280

I was thinking along the lines of CAD/CAM - this would be absolutely awesome. I almost pre-ordered one just now out of excitement.

8. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Enthusiast Posts: 235   +54

Let's see how long it takes for either Apple or Microsoft to buy them up and keep the technology to their own platform.

9. lol the CAD/CAM side, I did pre order one cuz of it!! immediately

10. I don't get it, how is this any different from what's already been done?
    !

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.