TechSpot

LeaseWeb deletes MegaUpload data from 690 servers without warning

By Jesse
Jun 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Dutch hosting company LeaseWeb has abruptly deleted all of the data from 690 MegaUpload servers, informing Kim Dotcom they have wiped them all clean. Dotcom has expressed disappointment and frustration, calling the move by LeaseWeb a “huge disaster.”

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,828   +546

Drawing line between that and today's cloud computing, which is also one big caboom short of a disaster. I find this ironic for the age in which people say information is everything :)

I think he should sue the hell out of LeaseWeb...

Auth3ntic0, Darth Shiv and psycros like this.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,087   +715

It's hard to know the details... If Megaupload and LeaseWeb had a contract, I'll bet that contract included something for LeaseWeb getting paid for their services. If no one can use mega's servers, access it's data, and Kim can barely pay his lawyers, I'd guess LeaseWeb is probably waiting on a few overdue bills. That's probably why he says they're looking into suing them and not just suing them. They're probably trying to find a way to do it because their case might not have much to go on. LeaseWeb might turn around and sue them... although that would probably be a huge waste of time.

4. Meh...back them up from the NSA servers. :)

hammer2085, MilwaukeeMike and Wendig0 like this.
  5. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +175

The service was terminated I believe. *NOT* that Kim stopped paying the bills. The service was terminated possibly illegally (interesting where the court case goes from here) and not legit and illegal data stored on there is gone.

I feel for all the legal users of the service who cannot recover data they own and was illegally destroyed due to an illegal takedown of the service!

6. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +175

Agreed. Hopefully this being made public will destroy their business anyway. It would be a bit of a gamble to rely on their service after what has transpired here wouldn't it?

7. Every day there is more evidence that the whole cloud concept is BS.

8. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,828   +546

If this were the case, Dotcom would have received a number of warnings prior to the accident. But not only he didn't, he wasn't warned once about the content being due for deletion, according to the article.

10. Cloud is just another way of getting your data without a search warrant. That was the big agreement between tech co and governments. Now do we really need disclosure, full disclosure to see this? Do you think a third party will fight for your data? Cloud anything is just as big of a fraud against gullible children as sady clouse and religions fairy tales and all. Enlighten your selfs and stop believing the operator. Operate your self don't be a knowledge slave.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.