Left 4 Dead 2 has two new game modes, Australia approves edited version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Valve showed off a new Left 4 Dead 2 game mode at an event last night in San Francisco. The "Scavenge" multiplayer mode will offer gamers a break from the standard versus and cooperative play. The new mode puts a team of four Survivors against an equal number of boss Infected in a race against the clock.

Survivors must scour specially designed maps for gas canisters, which they must return to a safe house to refill a generator. As the generator is filled, the Survivors earn points and more time is added. Meanwhile, the boss Infected -- including the new Spitter, Jockey, and Charger -- must prevent the Survivors from refueling by attacking them, destroying the gas cans, or running out the clock.

There are also reports of a "Realism" mode, but Valve has not officially announced details. According to the folks over at 1UP, Valve's Chet Faliszek commented that the mode is a "special modifier" that they forgot to hide for the demo. Doug Lombardi, another Valve employee, said Realism mode was for the "super hardcore player."

In related news, Left 4 Dead 2 has finally received an MA15+ classification in Australia -- though, it's a watered down version. The game "no longer contains depictions of decapitations, dismemberment, wound detail or piles of bodies lying about the environment." Valve is still hoping to obtain approval for an unedited version of the title.

Permalink to story.

"The game "no longer contains depictions of decapitations, dismemberment, wound detail or piles of bodies lying about the environment."

LOL...that's absolutely hilarious. Then what would be the point of playing this "kill the zombies" game?? I wonder if they've put the same restrictions on Resident Evil 5?

Guess it's really asking too much to let players decide which games have too much gore for their tastes and which ones don't. Let's let the government decide for us. All I can say is I'm damn glad I don't live in a Nanny country like that.......

I sentiments exactly. I saw nothing in Resident Evil 5 being censored really, looked like the same game, except maybe that... in RE5 they were REAL people and NOT zombies? lol...

I wonder if the steam versions are bogged down as well though. I would only think that the edited versions would be the ones you see in the shelves.

I live in Australia so i hope that they didn't screw up even the online steam version :x

yer the Steam one would have less gore as well, there woud be a regional version for steam and retail. you could easily trick it into thinking you where somewhere else tho. (and pay in a different currency)

I can't comment on whether I like the game or not until I actually learn how to play it. And I'm having a very hard time. I'm not stupid, and I'm as good a shooter as anybody else, as a matter of fact I'm damned good. But I'm terrible at pathfinding. I can't find my way around. I"ve put in about 10 hours and can't get past the mall. And I skipped to the mall; I couldn't find my way out of the street, either. The hotel is the only one I've been able to find my way out of. There's nothing but dead ends everywhere I look. I looked in every nick and cranny of the mall bottom level (I got down the big elevator; but now I'm trapped), running around shooting zombies for a ridiculous amount of time; hours. I can't find my way out of the street, and I was frustrated just now at running around the mall for hours with out being able to find my way out of there. Playing with my AI team, we killed thousands of zombies and basically just ran around. It got really monotonous. Don't they have maps to help us find our way out of these dead ends and mazes? I hate to think I paid so much for this game and will just put it down in frustration not because I can't shoot the eyes out of them with the highest efficiency of any expert gamer, but just because I can't find the freaking exit. Frustration, frustration, frustration. I need a map!!!! I need help!!!! I 'm about ready to smash or shoot something for real with real ammunition. Talk about GD'd claustrophobia.....somebody help me find my way out of the mall.....don't they have a guide for these impossible dead end mazes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back