Left 4 Dead on all high settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to put this simply: he should've gone out and bought a better card instead of the cheapest piece of junk he could find.

If you really want a more detailed answer, go here:

www.systemrequirementslab.com

Click "Can you run it?", install the java software, and it will tell you all you need to know.

Not to pile on but the best time to ask if a particular card can run a particular game would be before buying the card.

I'm going to put this simply: he should've gone out and bought a better card instead of the cheapest piece of junk he could find.

If you really want a more detailed answer, go here:

www.systemrequirementslab.com

Click "Can you run it?", install the java software, and it will tell you all you need to know.

He was getting this for a micro atx slim line case, turns out the card won't even fit into his dell insprion 530s so he's getting a bigger micro atx case. But his choices are very limited.

A Micro ATX board will fit into just about any size case. Even full towers have screw holes for you to be able to attach smaller motherboards. That's part of the beauty of a full tower, not to mention the air flow. If he has a bigger case from another computer lying around at home, don't even bother getting another slim case. Just move the board and the components to the bigger case. And if you can find a bigger case, then don't even bother with slim graphics cards anymore either. A bigger case opens up the bigger and better options. Generally the slim computer and slim video cards are designed with Business uses in mind. They save space, and use smaller and less expensive components to be efficient and save space and money.

Most of the slim video cards will not be over-the-top performers purely for the Business reason. The other reason is that they're made on a smaller die, and they can fit less onto a smaller chip. That means fewer stream processors, less space for RAM chips, and that means less performance.

A Micro ATX board will fit into just about any size case. Even full towers have screw holes for you to be able to attach smaller motherboards. That's part of the beauty of a full tower, not to mention the air flow. If he has a bigger case from another computer lying around at home, don't even bother getting another slim case. Just move the board and the components to the bigger case. And if you can find a bigger case, then don't even bother with slim graphics cards anymore either. A bigger case opens up the bigger and better options. Generally the slim computer and slim video cards are designed with Business uses in mind. They save space, and use smaller and less expensive components to be efficient and save space and money.

Most of the slim video cards will not be over-the-top performers purely for the Business reason. The other reason is that they're made on a smaller die, and they can fit less onto a smaller chip. That means fewer stream processors, less space for RAM chips, and that means less performance.

He used to have another big hp case, but I think he threw that out, but I think he wants to keep the smallness of the case so I recomeneded him this case: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Micro-ATX-C...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a005826b2 Of course he doesn't know how to build a computer so I'm doing everything for him, but hey I'm getting 10 dollars out of it so it's all good. Yeah we don't normally renumerate for family members, it's just a thing in our family.

As far as what he puts into his computer or what he keeps it in, that's his choice. I can only recommend.

But here's my recommendation: I already said that smaller cases are designed with business and school uses in mind. If he wants to play good games on it, he's going to have problems because the computer itself is going to have limitations on how far it can perform. If he's serious about gaming, he'll suck it up and get a somewhat bigger case to fit a bigger graphics card.

If he's not all that serious about gaming, then by all means: get the new micro case. But he needs to understand that if he wants, for example, Left 4 Dead to run on high settings, he's going to have some problems. Even that new micro-atx case will be too small to house a good graphics card. Or at least, too small to fit it comfortably without obstructing airflow.

I don't know. I guess it's because I'm getting such a conflict of interests here. He wants to keep a slim case, but he wants to play a good game and there just aren't all that many good options for that.

No, its generally a cheap low end card.
And personally, I don't really like that case, its not all that attractive or useful.

No, its generally a cheap low end card.
And personally, I don't really like that case, its not all that attractive or useful.

It's the best cheapest one I could find that would fit that card, and I thing air flow is fine since he has a dell 530s right now, and that think is way more roomier than his current case,though not as stylish, and I guess he'll just have to live with the graphics he gets with that card, unless a dual-link is available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back