Legacy HP Laserjet 4000 printer - can it be networked?

5aq1b

Hi,

I have a legacy printer which i used fairly often last year when it was connected to my desktop via parallel cable however i've ditched the desktop and now have a laptop - and unfortunately no parallel port.

The printer does have a network port so i'm wondering, can I simply connect it to my router and Somehow access it?

The router I have is a netgear dg834g so it can't act as a print server. Is there any way I can still get some use out of it - without purchasing a USB to Parallel cable?

The HP Laserjet 4000 doesn't have a Ethernet port. You have no choice but to use a Parallel or Serial connection of some sort. Even if you had a network device with USB print server ports, you would still need to connect through either Parallel or Serial.

Is there a reason why you are looking not to purchase the USB-to-Parallel cable? If you are looking to stay clear of continually disconnecting the printer, maybe a Parallel Network Print Server or TRENDnet TEW-P1PG Wireless Parallel Print Server would serve you better. :)

I've had good success with a USB-to-Parallel cable connected to a HP Laserjet 6P with 64-bit compatibility for Windows 7.

ok i feel like a complete d1ck for wasting your time but i double checked the printer and it's a 4000TN and it definitely does have a network port .....

Just wondering how i go around configuring this beast. Preferably i'd like to leave it where it is in the store as that's where my router is - don't really want to have it sitting in my room as it's a fairly heavy thing to move!

ok i feel like a complete d1ck for wasting your time but i double checked the printer and it's a 4000TN and it definitely does have a network port .....

Just wondering how i go around configuring this beast. Preferably i'd like to leave it where it is in the store as that's where my router is - don't really want to have it sitting in my room as it's a fairly heavy thing to move!
Thats good, it changes the subject for the better.

Wish I could help with that question. Sadly my knowledge of setting up allot of network printers is limited. I know printers today have a web address used to configure the printer. I don't know if its always been this way.

My experience w/ it was brief. Tried to get one to print at work. Didn't have the manual at the time, so I went through the configu menu on the printer. If I remember right, the TCP/IP needs to be on. Then you can either assign it a static IP address or use DHCP. I left it using DHCP and that worked.

I think the problem w/ the printer was that after a loss of power, the settings were cleared. It might have been a long power outage at work, I don't remember. Just note that you might need to re-enter the values.

Back