Legacy HP Laserjet 4000 printer - can it be networked?

By 5aq1b
Nov 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

I have a legacy printer which i used fairly often last year when it was connected to my desktop via parallel cable however i've ditched the desktop and now have a laptop - and unfortunately no parallel port.

The printer does have a network port so i'm wondering, can I simply connect it to my router and Somehow access it?

The router I have is a netgear dg834g so it can't act as a print server. Is there any way I can still get some use out of it - without purchasing a USB to Parallel cable?
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

The HP Laserjet 4000 doesn't have a Ethernet port. You have no choice but to use a Parallel or Serial connection of some sort. Even if you had a network device with USB print server ports, you would still need to connect through either Parallel or Serial.

Is there a reason why you are looking not to purchase the USB-to-Parallel cable? If you are looking to stay clear of continually disconnecting the printer, maybe a Parallel Network Print Server or TRENDnet TEW-P1PG Wireless Parallel Print Server would serve you better. :)

I've had good success with a USB-to-Parallel cable connected to a HP Laserjet 6P with 64-bit compatibility for Windows 7.
  3. 5aq1b

5aq1b Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 83

ok i feel like a complete d1ck for wasting your time but i double checked the printer and it's a 4000TN and it definitely does have a network port .....

Just wondering how i go around configuring this beast. Preferably i'd like to leave it where it is in the store as that's where my router is - don't really want to have it sitting in my room as it's a fairly heavy thing to move!
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

Thats good, it changes the subject for the better.

Wish I could help with that question. Sadly my knowledge of setting up allot of network printers is limited. I know printers today have a web address used to configure the printer. I don't know if its always been this way.
  5. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 886   +39

My experience w/ it was brief. Tried to get one to print at work. Didn't have the manual at the time, so I went through the configu menu on the printer. If I remember right, the TCP/IP needs to be on. Then you can either assign it a static IP address or use DHCP. I left it using DHCP and that worked.

I think the problem w/ the printer was that after a loss of power, the settings were cleared. It might have been a long power outage at work, I don't remember. Just note that you might need to re-enter the values.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.