Lenovo 3000 N200 laptop blank display problem

Hi guys,

I have strange problems with my Lenovo 3000 N200 (0769) laptop.
I wasn't able to find similar problems on the net and I hoped that you could help me to diagnose them.

The problems are as follows:
1. When I turn on the laptop, nothing appears on the screen and there is no POST beep. After a few seconds the screen gets brighter (but still black).
2. If external monitor is attached, I'm able to use Fn+F7 to toggle the display. Then I get the menu where I can choose to boot in a safe mode or to start Windows (the operating system is Windows XP) normally, but the display is corrupted - there are strange vertical lines on the screen. Here is how it looks:
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/dsc00010gr.jpg/
I tried that on two different screens and the result was the same.
3. If I choose to start Windows normally, the Windows logo is displayed for a few seconds (also with vertical lines):
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/dsc00011io.jpg/
After that, I get this BSOD:
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/dsc00012lh.jpg/
And the computer reboots immediately.

All problems started at the same time.

I'm able to boot in a safe mode.
The minidumps are attached. I tried analyzing them using "PEBrowse Crash-Dump Analyzer", but it gives me the error message: "Incorrect crash-dump signature".

So far, I tried doing the following:
1. Reinstalling Windows.
2. Running RAM test using Memtest 86+ v4.0, no errors found (stopped after 3 passes).
3. Disconnecting the LCD and connecting it again (thought that maybe there are loose connections...).
4. Flashing the BIOS.

What do you think is wrong with this laptop? Is that due to faulty video card (it's embedded into the motherboard) or some other hardware?

Thanks.

Things got worse...
Now I get this new BSOD even when trying to boot in a safe mode:
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/dsc00016lc.jpg/
It probably started to happen after the BIOS flash... I don't remember if things were the same after doing that...
Seems like the HDD is not recognized, or maybe it failed too...
I'm also unable to access the BIOS setup (by pressing the F1 key multiple times on startup). I'm pressing F1, but still getting to the "choose how to start Windows" screen.

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    72.6 KB · Views: 3
Pull the hard drive out and see if the normal boot screen shows for a bit. You may see only a white cursor blinking in the upper left-hand corner of the laptops display

No problem. I replace laptop motherboards all the time getting good prices and quality motherboards from EBay suppliers

Hi dron11111,
I am having *exactly* the same problem with my lenovo 3000 N200! It started a few days ago. I was wondering if you found a solution.
I found that if I leave the laptop running for at least half a day and then reboot, I sometimes get a working display. I may have to reboot several times before the display works. But the problems come back when I shut the laptop down over night.

Back