Lenovo debuts IdeaCentre Q700 HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Lenovo has introduced a new HTPC, the IdeaCentre Q700. The system is comfortably nestled between the size and specifications of a nettop and full-blown HTPC. It should fit in perfectly with your other home theater equipment, and its hardware ought to chew through basic HTPC-oriented tasks.

The IdeaCentre Q700 is equipped with an Intel Pentium E5200 2.5GHz CPU and X4500 integrated graphics, 4GB of RAM, and the choice between a 320GB, 500GB or 640GB HDD. Although it's not available with a Blu-ray drive at the moment, it does come with a DVD burner.

It also houses an HDMI and VGA-out, TV tuner, eight USB 2.0 ports (split between front and back), Firewire, an eSATA connector, a 4-in-1 card reader, 5.1 surround sound outputs, gigabit Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity. Models are available with a remote and USB receiver dongle, and all ship with Vista Home Premium 64-bit installed.

Granted, you won't be playing high-end games on max with smooth frame rates but the Q700 crams a lot into its 2.36" x 7.87" x 9.84" box. The offer only looks better when you consider its $499 asking price.

Permalink to story.

Yeah - looks really interesting and might be a decent competitor to the MacMini. Problem is, is that proc fast enough to decode 1080p .264 video? I've become very tempted lately and a bit torn between getting a Popcornhour C-200 or a MacMini and just keep using Plex. Something like this might introduce more confusion for me.

It does have ethernet right? I simply can't stand using wireless for anything other than web browsing... As long as it does, I'd actually look into it. Then again, I was going to get a MacMini until I realized I could just fold my MacBook shut and use it as one instead.

@tengeta: Yes, it does have Ethernet. Not sure how I didn't include that in the original post. I added it now, thanks for pointing that out!

Well if the ion platform can almost handle 1080p with an atom processor I would imagine a dual core e5200 would have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back