Lenovo Miix 2 8 Review: Good, Affordable 8-inch Tablet With One Major Flaw

Scorpus

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/779-lenovo-miix-2-8/]https://www.techspot.com/review/779-lenovo-miix-2-8/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Generally I'm not a big fan of mobile device reviews rather preferring proper computer hardware but I really like Tim's reviews, I find them informative and interesting and I've learned a lot from them. What I didn't like about the video review was the fact that I was reminded of the test series between SA & AUS in which we got our butts kicked but with the upcoming ODI's hopefully we'll see the shoe on the other foot. :)

Well it looked great up until the touchscreen issues and the low proc that apparently makes it a stumbling experience.

I don't understand what's compelling Techspot to keep reviewing the coming myriad of mediocre tablets. Surely there are more interesting things to chew about...

I don't understand what's compelling Techspot to keep reviewing the coming myriad of mediocre tablets. Surely there are more interesting things to chew about...

So us the users don't make a bad decisions buying the new hype W8 tablets because of their price points?

Nicely done and well rounded review Tim. These devices have come a long way but clearly have much much further to go to be viable alternatives to products in other eco-systems.

What I felt was missing was further exploring the the seemingly illogical differences in test scores. It was interesting to note that competing models while even sporting higher resolution displays had equal or better battery life.

While having MSOffice in your hand is surely a selling point, I think devices such as this one are more intended to viewing/light editing of content rather than full authoring from scratch.

So us the users don't make a bad decisions buying the new hype W8 tablets because of their price points?

Essentially this. I'm currently eyeing off a few other 8-inch Windows tablets to review, so we'll see if those are better.

(Also there hasn't been a whole bunch of product releases in the past few months, so I've been taking the time to review some tablets. But we're getting to exciting stuff in the coming weeks eg. Xperia Z2, Galaxy S5, Nokia X)

What I felt was missing was further exploring the the seemingly illogical differences in test scores.

Care to elaborate? I always appreciate feedback :)

There is nothing wrong with the touch screen OMG...
This is a user error, you clearly don't know how windows 8.1 touch keyboard works.
If you "slide" on keys, you actually type characters that are "hidden" and that you normally need to press and hold to access, "slide" is a shortcut.
Its fairly worrisome that a "tech journalist/reviewer" don't know about this.
And you should call/write Lenovo and apologies as this is purely a USER ERROR, you should also redo the video as this is just bashing what isn't there..
Please answer me here so I can see that you have read this.

Well it looked great up until the touchscreen issues and the low proc that apparently makes it a stumbling experience.

There is nothing wrong with the touch screen. This is a user error, if you "slide" on keys, you actually type characters that are "hidden" and that you normally need to press and hold to be access, "slide" is a shortcut.

This is a user error, you clearly don't know how windows 8.1 touch keyboard works.
If you "slide" on keys, you actually type characters that are "hidden" and that you normally need to press and hold to access, "slide" is a shortcut.
And you should call/write Lenovo and apologies as this is purely a USER ERROR, you should also redo the video as this is just bashing what isn't there..
Even if what you say is correct (Against my better judgement, ill just assume your right on the grounds of swiping your finger) not every person out there likes the idea of having to drag their finger across the screen to type on a keyboard. There are phones that also do this but the keyboard still acts and responds properly like a normal keyboard for users that want to use it like they do any other phone.

The fact is the screen as the review said is very slow and that causes you to have to slow down when typing on the keyboard which is a major problem.

Great review as always.

Don't agree. I think it's important to keep reviewing as many of these tablets as possible to keep the users informed on what's available and how good it is for the buck.

Yes, one major flaw! It is called Windows.
When will techspot stop letting "guests" post??

So far in my techspotie life, I've probably seen two or maybe three guest posts that have been actually useful, or for that matter, that make sense.

It's not that hard, you come up with a username, you input your mail or make a 10mm, then you choose a password that doesnt need to be that hard and after all those hard 2 minutes of work you can post all you like with your account enabled!

This is not user error. I am aware of the slide gesture, it is activating erroneously when I type. Performing the same actions on the Toshiba Encore (which I had at the same time) or the Microsoft Surface 2 don't result in switching apps and the input of special characters.

It's clearly an error with the touchscreen and I spent a lot of time testing to make sure it wasn't user error, and easily repeatable.

I have a question.Does the Lenovo Miix 2 8 come with Office Home and Student 2013? Lenovo's website says it comes with Office trial.Please help me with this one

I own this tablet and the touch response is frustrating. I find myself tapping numerous times to close tabs, windows, and to open links. I wouldn't give it a 60 though. I would give it an 80. I would also purchase another one for a family member as well.

I have a question.Does the Lenovo Miix 2 8 come with Office Home and Student 2013? Lenovo's website says it comes with Office trial.Please help me with this one

The tablet has an Office trial, but not Office Home and Student 2013. While the Toshiba Encore had a product key included in the box for Office, the Miix 2 8 either prompts you for your own key/Office 365 subscription or you can do the 60 day trial

I disagree. The touchscreen is very responsive, and very sensitive to this slide gesture. I find myself making this error because I'm not used to the keyboard (this is my first Windows 8 device), but it is very responsive and very speedy. Also, the back is not made of aluminum - it's made of a faux aluminum plastic. Still elegant, but not aluminum.

Actually, I just bought one of these a few days ago for $200 from Best Buy, and it DOES include the activation code for Office I am not having the touchscreen problems referenced in the review, either, although it is not as good as the one on my Surface Pro, of course.

In your article you stated the tablet comes with office home and student 2013[quotI have reservations weather you even reviewed this tablet.: 343410"]

The tablet has an Office trial, but not Office Home and Student 2013. While the Toshiba Encore had a product key included in the box for Office, the Miix 2 8 either prompts you for your own key/Office 365 subscription or you can do the 60 day trial
[/quote]
in your article you stated that he comes bundled with office home and student 2013I have reservations with you

My office had the key in the box. The only thing it doesn't come with is Outlook. It's actually called "Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013".

I just received my Lenovo Miix 2 8 and it does come with Office Home and Student 2013. I got mine from Fry's with a price match.

Nice review very concise and through its important work I use reviews as well as hands on at least as much as possible in a store or none if ordered online so again reliable honest reviews are of the utmost importance for me to make informed decisions about technology purchases with my hard earned money.
Thanks and keep up the good work.

To confirm: As currently sold, the tablet comes with Office Home and Student. Code is in the box.
The tablet also has GPS, which the Dell Venue Pro 8 does not. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any good turn-by-turn navigation software (capable of operating off-line) that can communicate with the GPS sensor. I haven't noticed any of the touch-screen problems, except for the insertion of special characters. This happens when your fingers "slip" on the keys, triggering the special character selections. This does slow you down a bit.

The screen resolution is not really a deal-breaker for me. Text is easy enough to read, colors are sharp and vibrant. The cameras do leave a lot to be desired.

The tablet can run Photoshop CS6 fairly well, to my surprise. Unfortunately, the software does not work well with the touchscreen.

Space on the 32gb drive is very spare after installing a few apps. I have about 5.5 gb left. All document storage is on the SDHC card. Best tip for optimizing: run disk cleanup and be certain to delete windows update files. After the first round of updates, over a gig of my drive space was occupied by the little buggers.

Last question: Why do you have a copy of Carlsson's Physiology of Behavior on your desk?

Back