Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Ultraportable Laptop Review

Excellent review, and a great choice to pit the X1 up against its older brother the x220 and its cousin the U260. Being that I value the IPS screen and disable the touchpad in the BIOS, it seems the X220 might be the better choice of the three if I were to get one. But then again, I'm really digging the peripheral connection layout on the X1. Oh woe is me~

Gone are the days when a Thinkpad was a light-weight, small-footprint - yet powerful computer with all that you needed when away from the office (or home office). Now it is putting on weight and gurth! Too bad, I loved the small, powerful Thinkpads of the old days...

I dunno, my T43p @ 15" weighed almost a pound more and at least a quarter of an inch thicker at it's thickest, and I'm not going to go into the dimensions/weight of my old Thinkpad 390E. Considering even with a 13" screen the X1 is not much heavier than the lightest of the X series (I think the X40, correct me if I am wrong), and is one of the thinnest if not THE thinnest Thinkpad Laptop ever, I'd say this is at the very least par for the course.=p

Nice system. Too bad about the 1366x768 screen though... If it had the MacBook Air's 1440x900 resolution, I would probably buy it. Lenovo always puts sub-par screens in their otherwise great machines. Maybe they will release an option with a better IPS panel and higher resolution?

Thank you for an excellent review of what looks like a fantastic machine. I may have missed it, but does this machine have a matte or a reflective screen? To put it another way, can I watch myself in the mirror as I type? This is a deal-breaker for me...matte only.

We bought one X1, one X220 and one T420s last December.
Sadly the X1 is the worst of this three devices.
The weight is nearly the same as a T420s, with less battery life, fixed battery , glossy display and the high-pitched fan noise driving you crazy.

I manage a fleet of lenovo machines, from back in the days of T20's to now the main work tool of trade is the T420. We have a handful of X220.

We also used the X300 seiries which were fantastic devices, battery was woeful but most loved it. We assumed the X1 would continue this theme, I bought one to replace my three year old X300 and have to say its awful. Wieghs a tonne, its thicker than the T420 (much thicker and heavier than the X300) and is so slow for a new machine. Keyboard is not as tactile, screen is shiny/reflective and wobbles as you type. No VGA output is a problem in the business world, yes you can get a dongle but it is crazy not to have this built in. No CD rom where as the X300 had that too and still thinner.
It also has a flappy plastic cover over the USB & headphone sockets??? You need long finger nails to prise it open and then to get it to fit back is really awkward. Might just as well rip it off.

Speed wise there is not difference in real world use. Battery is just as bad.

I would not recommend buying one, get a X301 if you can or a second hand one.

Is it worth the $2900 price tag? You can buy a 13-inch MacBook Air for $1299 but, it?s unfair to judge the two of them by price alone because of the differences in processor, memory and hard drive size. Is a faster processor, more memory, larger SSD and a better battery warranty worth the extra cost?

Back