TechSpot

Lenovo to build some laptop and desktop systems in the US

By Jos
Oct 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Here's something you don't hear very often: Lenovo, the Chinese computer manufacturer has announced it will open a production line in the US where it will build some of its signature Think-brand notebook and desktop systems. The company is starting...

Read more

2. Redondo

Redondo TS Rookie

Oh the irony...

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,929   +569

Won't work. Nobody will pay more for the "Made in USA" label. But it surely will be hellova more expensive to make.

Really, this doesn't make sense. There must be an under-the-table agenda, like US government offered tax cuts to them or some other shady deal went on.

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,075   +84 Staff Member

I have and would.

5. VitalyT

That's your money :)

However in business there is no place for sentimentalism ;)

6. Matthew

Apparently there is. ;)

7. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 881   +130

I don't think there is that huge of brand loyalty in the PC market, especially to the average user. I do think that if a potential US customer sees two laptops that are generally equal in specs (and even build quality), they very will might pick the US made product. The question is, will they pick the US made product over the product sold by a US company?

8. VitalyT

My post was with reference to the original post I made earlier where I said the customer won't pay more for the "Made in USA" label (barring Matthew here and USA patriots alike). See my first post above.

In case of equal prices all bets are off, one buys whatever label he trusts most.

9. Matthew

To be clear, it has less to do with patriotism and sentimentalism and more to do with supporting businesses that have the greatest overall impact on me. That has practically nothing to do with patriotism, because you can break it down on a smaller scale. If I have to choose between buying tomatoes from a guy across town and my next-door neighbor, I'd pick the latter. I care more about his well-being and establishing a relationship with him, because it affects me the most. Likewise, if I have a problem with my tomato, I'd rather deal with my neighbor than some guy in town, and I'd rather deal with some guy in town over a stranger in Mexico. That's ridiculously oversimplified, but I'm just saying, there's more to the equation here than merely chasing the cheapest stuff possible, and although I'll pay a premium for local goods and services, I won't pay triple purely because it ships with a "made in USA" sticker.

10. To be fair, they are just assembling machines(While in the US they put board A from china into board B from Korea), all of the parts will still be from china, japan, etc...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.