Lenovo to release eBox game console in China

By Jos
Aug 27, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. In a rather unexpected move, Lenovo has revealed plans to enter the video game business with a controller-free console that would compete with the likes of Microsoft's Xbox 360, Nintendo's Wii, and Sony's PlayStation 3. According to Lenovo spokesperson Jay Chen, the eBox has been in development for a while, but only recently a team of employees split off into a separate Lenovo-owned company, Beijing eedoo Technology, in anticipation of a launch later this year.

Read the whole story
  2. kyosuke

kyosuke Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

Sweet good thing my gf lives there. Hopefully the games will be great
  3. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

I have to say the name 'eBox' is a bit close to Xbox. Seems like kinda a poor name to me. In fact I had to double check the article to make sure it wasn't make by M$ :p. (I was just skimming at first)

Although that might not be the case in other langues tho.
  4. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Maniac Posts: 488   +10

The chinese marketers tend to do that. They emulate the names of other products. The funny thing is that maybe the large populations can compensate in a market for protecting representation of a product. It just makes focused marketing difficult. But it looks like they want to sort of be on par with the most popular online console at present. I wonder if the specs would be almost Wii with just enough power to run the sensor controller in conjustion to games and maybe on online marketplace which is where I think Apple might head with the new Apple TV or iTV. eBox seems so much more generic since we have already gone through the stages of -eing everything in the states.
  5. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 541

Looks crummy.The pic looks like it was done in the 40s!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.