TechSpot

Lenovo: Windows RT tablets will cost $300 less than Windows 8 slates

By Shawn Knight
Aug 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier this week we heard rumblings that Microsoft could be preparing to launch their Surface for Windows RT tablet at just $199. That price point seemed absurdly low just two days ago but now the head of Lenovo's North American……

Read more

2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

They could always make the tablets available for presale at $199, and then have the regular price be $399. People would buy the $199 tablet on principle.

We saw what happened with Palm, that stuff sold out overnight.

3. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

There are plenty of ARM-based tablets in the $200-300 dollar range. Why would having Microsoft's name on it make any difference? If anything I'd expect them to be selling at cost for a while..they've put all their eggs in the Metro basket. Unfortunately, its as ugly as sin, as intuitive as quadratic equations and useful as antlers on a beagle. Nothing except maybe Windows Phone apps will run on it and whatever handful of programs Microsoft ports over, so add this to the long list of mistakes Ballmer has presided over. Windows 8, esp. on ARM, is gonna cripple the company for years.

4. You must not be very good at math. It seems like you will go as far as possible to hate something you know almost nothing about. What did you do, skip through a 10 minute video on Windows 8,Have a hard time installing the preview? I just have a hard time understanding why people will willingly hate something they know nothing about. It takes so much energy to hate something. I don't see people as worked up about politics as I do windows 8.

5. I do not see how people will willfully love something that they know nothing about. But be sure to go buy an ARM based Windows device as soon as they come out. Microsoft desperately needs as many of you as they can get to send them money.

6. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

It's not about loving it, but about remaining neutral if nothing is known about a product.

7. well said my friend, lot of people, already hate windows 8 without reason, I havent tried , but im in, open minded,

8. Divvet

Divvet TS Rookie Posts: 57   +19

Allot of people hate Windows 8 because they have tried it, its been available to test for ages, and plenty of people have had time to try. I've used it on both a tablet and desktop. The desktop experience is terrible, and I will not be using it. The tablet experience was allot better, but application support is going to hurt Microsoft for a long time. Look at the Windows Phone market, its a fraction of the size of Apple's or Google's and so is their market share. Even at this price I wouldn't buy an Arm Windows 8 device. The x86 variants will need to be priced at $199 for me to consider buying one.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.