TechSpot

Lenovo Y580 preinstalled Win8 machine upgrade to SSD

By Scshadow
Dec 28, 2012
  1. I've searched all over from http://www.eightforums.com to lenovo forums. I've called support and they demand a fee to provide me support for my brand new laptop. I'm desperate for a solution because I have exhausted all more likely resources for solutions to my problem. My problem is that the option to burn factory reinstall discs have been removed. In the windows 7 version of this laptop, One Key Recovery provided this option. For win 7 laptops, this allowed people to reinstall the OEM OS on their msata SSD. Now that option is not there. I've burned a system image disc set, I burned a bootable system repair disc. I created a recovery flash drive on a usb stick. Neither of these windows 8 options allowed me to recover to a new drive on the same laptop. I really really hope someone can help me. This is ridiculous.

2. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +27

You could try imaging it with Drive Img XML or similar?

3. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 459   +94

Very little support is out there to image a windows 8 system. All accounts I've read have resulted in unbootable drives. I really really hate the concept of imaging my drive to migrate it over. It doesn't seem like a clean way of doing it.

4. Pan Wah

If the partition you image is bootable, then the partition created from the image will be bootable, unless the image is corrupted somehow.
    And if you make a precise image of what you have, what could be cleaner? :confused:

5. Scshadow

You aren't familiar with windows 8 systems with uefi, GPT, and secure boot.

6. Pan Wah

You have no idea what I'm familiar with! I'm an experienced IT professional, enjoy your problem.... :mad:

UNKNOWN9122 likes this.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

That is odd they are charging now, a year back I called and they helped me out.

8. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Booster Posts: 247   +27

I agree with what Pan Wah said above (before you dissed him off!), drvimgxml would do the trick :)

Pan Wah likes this.
  9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

you tell him

10. Scshadow

Good for you guys, you all get a cookie. And when you drive image a windows 8 laptop with secure boot, gpt and uefi and it doesn't boot, you can kiss my *** and lick it. Never mind the fact that imaged drives run slow as ****.

11. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,925   +347

Scshadow, you asked for help and other members have responded and tried to help you. A simple "Thank you," would have been sufficient.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.