Less than 5% of IPv4 addresses left says NRO

By Matthew
Oct 18, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. In late January, the Number Resource Organization (NRO) warned that IPv4 addresses were drying up, with less than 10% unallocated -- a figure that has shrunk rapidly over the last nine months. The organization now reports that two more blocks of IPv4 addresses have been assigned, putting the number of vacant addresses below 5%.

Read the whole story
  2. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,617   +494

Thats not good...
  3. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

Kick all the scammers, spammers and scum off the internet and we'll have plenty of addresses left.
  4. Those "scum" are operating botnets, i.e. running their nefarious software on the PCs of unsuspecting, average Joes like you and me. A bigger problem with IPv4 distribution is companies like where I work ... we have half a public class C network all to ourselves, and we *maybe* use 6 of those 128 IPs.
  5. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 490   +16

I once knew a teacher, (who has an AS in IT and teaches programming/robotics), believed that every machine should have it's own public IP address...
  6. There are so many solutions to this problem. I wouldn't be worried.
  7. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Hear, hear! And destroy the botnets!
  8. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,889   +645

Na, its not as worrying as they make it out to be, although I do believe the adoption rate in IPv6 does need to improve Drumatically.
  9. jaystimpson

jaystimpson TS Rookie

I think we need to make a switch over to Ipv6....
  10. surbey

surbey TS Rookie

I saw this article a couple of weeks ago and was dumbfounded. The delay in switching to IP6 is completely ridiculous. IP6 can provide over 5,000 ip addresses per SQUARE INCH of the planet. Why on earth did we not start switching THE DAY THE PROTOCOL WAS STANDARDIZED?!.
  11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,681   +86

You forgot to add 'pron' into this 'should be kicked' list. :rolleyes: