LG Display announces 5.0-inch, 1080p AH-IPS display for smartphones

Leeky

There is no doubt that display manufacturers have been pushing the boundaries of technology with the latest line of touchscreen panels making their way into smartphones, and now LG Display looks set to push the envelope even further with the announcement of its latest 5-inch display, packing a full 1080p resolution.

The new display uses the 16:9 aspect ratio, providing a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels with 440ppi and uses Advanced High Performance In-Plane Switching (AH-IPS) which promises wide viewing angles, improved brightness efficiency and fast response times.

working retina-beating smartphone display

In comparison, Apple's iPhone 4S uses a 3.5-inch 960x640 pixel 'Retina' display with a pixel density of 326ppi. The latest range topping smartphone from Samsung, the Galaxy S3 uses a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display with 1280x720 pixels and a pixel density of 306ppi. It's also worth noting that the highest pixel count currently belongs to a 6.1-inch display made by Toshiba, destined for use in tablets (although it could well used in a phone at the rate sizes are increasing) and offers 2560x1600 pixels with a whopping 498ppi.

Consumers won't need to wait too long either, as it will be available sometime in the second half of this year, although it's currently unknown what devices will ship featuring it. LG Display says that the new high-resolution display will be first exhibited at SID 2012 Display Week in Boston which starts on June 4.

Interestingly, according to CNet, this display would be ideal for the recently leaked LG Eclipse prototype, which they say promises to be the world's most powerful smartphone with a quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM. Should the handset become a reality, it would be the ideal platform in which to fit this 5.0-inch 1080p screen.

Permalink to story.

the 32 LCD im using now is not even 1080p lol. I appreciate high quality displays, but not at the expense of terrible battery life. im using low brightness for my windows phone otherwise im gonna have to charge it everyday.

Lets start seeing some 2560x1440/1600@120Hz IPS monitors, then I'll be interested.

"6.1-inch display made by Toshiba, destined for use in tablets (although it could well used in a phone at the rate sizes are increasing) and offers 2560x1600 pixels with a whopping 498ppi"

"The new display uses the 16:9 aspect ratio, providing a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels with 440ppi and uses Advanced High Performance In-Plane Switching (AH-IPS)"

Everybody would love to have that kind of screen. I'll be among the first lot that will buy LG phone only if LG promises to provide all day long battery as well.

Thats when I'll get a smart phone. When one has a screen that nice and the power to play the 1080p youtube clips on it. Still I dont ever want to be one of the numerous people walking around with their heads down in their phone darn near 24/7 at work. Its pathetic. Instead of talking, when people feel weird they stick their heads into their phones pretending to be actually deep in something meaningful when they're scanning facebook to stick to the aversion of talking or looking up around other people.

Soon we'll have phones with 1080p, and yet there are still people who think 1080 is a good resolution for a full sized television lol

Soon we'll have phones with 1080p, and yet there are still people who think 1080 is a good resolution for a full sized television lol
I hope you don't hold a full size TV in front of you as close as you would a phone. Lets hold the phone in front of you while watching TV and then compare the ratio in visual size difference.

<p>Soon we'll have phones with 1080p, and yet there are still people who think 1080 is a good resolution for a full sized television lol</p>

Clarity is a function of distance. If you don't think 1080p is good for your TV, you're probably sitting too close.

I look good from a distance, that doesn't mean I'm not ugly... 1920x1080 is crap, I have my 27" 2560x1440 monitor beside my 46" TV and damn is there ever a difference, even from 8 feet back.

Back