TechSpot

LG Display announces 5.0-inch, 1080p AH-IPS display for smartphones

By Leeky
May 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. There is no doubt that display manufacturers have been pushing the boundaries of technology with the latest line of touchscreen panels making their way into smartphones, and now LG Display...

Read the whole story
  2. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,003   +11

the 32 LCD im using now is not even 1080p lol. I appreciate high quality displays, but not at the expense of terrible battery life. im using low brightness for my windows phone otherwise im gonna have to charge it everyday.
  3. Lets start seeing some 2560x1440/1600@120Hz IPS monitors, then I'll be interested.
  4. Opus

Opus TS Rookie Posts: 39

"6.1-inch display made by Toshiba, destined for use in tablets (although it could well used in a phone at the rate sizes are increasing) and offers 2560x1600 pixels with a whopping 498ppi"

"The new display uses the 16:9 aspect ratio, providing a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels with 440ppi and uses Advanced High Performance In-Plane Switching (AH-IPS)"

Everybody would love to have that kind of screen. I'll be among the first lot that will buy LG phone only if LG promises to provide all day long battery as well.
  5. Insta-drool. *nerd*
  6. Doctor John

Doctor John TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +15

Amazing! I'll get a friend with good eyesight to test it for me! ;)
  7. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

Thats when I'll get a smart phone. When one has a screen that nice and the power to play the 1080p youtube clips on it. Still I dont ever want to be one of the numerous people walking around with their heads down in their phone darn near 24/7 at work. Its pathetic. Instead of talking, when people feel weird they stick their heads into their phones pretending to be actually deep in something meaningful when they're scanning facebook to stick to the aversion of talking or looking up around other people.
  8. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Too bad LG makes crappy smartphones. Besides, a 5-inch screen? Come on now...
  9. Wow that is incredible... I have a 47 incher that's only 720p hah
  10. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

Soon we'll have phones with 1080p, and yet there are still people who think 1080 is a good resolution for a full sized television lol
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,981   +1,488

I hope you don't hold a full size TV in front of you as close as you would a phone. Lets hold the phone in front of you while watching TV and then compare the ratio in visual size difference.

12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,069   +704

Clarity is a function of distance. If you don't think 1080p is good for your TV, you're probably sitting too close.
  13. I look good from a distance, that doesn't mean I'm not ugly... 1920x1080 is crap, I have my 27" 2560x1440 monitor beside my 46" TV and damn is there ever a difference, even from 8 feet back.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.