LG G6 pictured ahead of February 26 launch

Scorpus

Staff member

LG is preparing to unveil their next flagship Android smartphone, the G6, at Mobile World Congress next month. But before LG has been able to officially reveal their new handset, an image showing part of the device has leaked to The Verge.

The image shows the top half of the LG G6, revealing a slim top bezel with a front-facing camera and several sensors. As has been rumored for some time, the G6 appears to use slimmer-than-normal bezels to maximize the amount of screen on the front of the handset. As was confirmed previously, the G6 will feature a 5.7-inch display with an unusual 2:1 aspect ratio.

The G6 will reportedly feature a chassis constructed entirely from glass and metal. Well crafted metal edges are visible in the leaked image, and appear similar in design to several other flagships from 2016, such as the Huawei P9 and OnePlus 3. The G6 will not contain a gimmicky modular system, instead opting for a sealed battery and a fixed feature set.

Other features we can expect to find in the G6 include a dual rear camera system, a waterproof body, a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, and a headphone jack. It's believed that the G6 will use a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC as well.

LG is set to launch the G6 on February 26, one day before Mobile World Congress 2017 kicks off in Barcelona. It won't go head-to-head with the Galaxy S8 this year, as Samsung has confirmed their new flagship will not launch at MWC.

Permalink to story.

Sealed battery, does that mean not user replaceable?

I am anxious to see what LG puts in the newest G. I really don't care about waterproof. I may switch to a different manufacturer if this is just another Samsung phone with LG written on it.

I would love to see a Micro SD slot, user replaceable battery, wireless charging and IR blaster.

I know most phones are getting rid of the IR blaster, and to me, that's a bigger reason to have one. I am tired of waterproof phones becoming more disposable than the ones water can get into. Once the battery dies, or you run out of storage, the phone needs replacing. That seems to be the model for Samsung. I really hope LG doesn't follow suit.

The G series main appeal was its replaceable battery...the G3 and G4 were plagued with issues but were somewhat popular because people wanted to be able to swap batteries...

Without the removable battery I'm going to have a hard time giving up my G4 for a G6.

I've had my share of hardware problems with the G4 (warranty replaced/refurbished twice), but it's still a great phone otherwise.

Without the removable battery I'm going to have a hard time giving up my G4 for a G6.

I've had my share of hardware problems with the G4 (warranty replaced/refurbished twice), but it's still a great phone otherwise.

Me too. only 1 phone replacement for me at least.

The camera on the G4 is great, and I'm sure the G6 will be as well - but the replaceable battery is the best feature... it's happened numerous times I've heard people complaining about their phone dying or about having to wait for it to charge and I tell them next time get a phone with a removable battery - you can charge it up in the time it takes to turn it back on.

It's going to take a pretty nice phone to get me to 'upgrade' Although with the fast charging technologies available today it does help minimize the need for a removable battery. But that still makes the phone have a short life - eventually your battery will start dying twice as fast.

There are few things that make me want to give a company my money LESS than a product that has a specific short life span built into the design.

Me too. only 1 phone replacement for me at least.

The camera on the G4 is great, and I'm sure the G6 will be as well - but the replaceable battery is the best feature... it's happened numerous times I've heard people complaining about their phone dying or about having to wait for it to charge and I tell them next time get a phone with a removable battery - you can charge it up in the time it takes to turn it back on.

It's going to take a pretty nice phone to get me to 'upgrade' Although with the fast charging technologies available today it does help minimize the need for a removable battery. But that still makes the phone have a short life - eventually your battery will start dying twice as fast.

There are few things that make me want to give a company my money LESS than a product that has a specific short life span built into the design.

Unfortunately with the invention of the every year replacement programs with cell carriers devices aren't expected to perform optimally past probably the two year mark. With people upgrading so often it gives less incentive for a company to design a phone with longevity.

They would rather you pay them for a new one....

Greedy company Executive: "How do we build a phone in a way that requires you to replace the whole thing as soon as possible?"
Company Cellphone Engineer: "Seal the phone with a limited amount of storage space and a battery just good enough to last until you want them to upgrade."
Greedy company Executive: "That sounds great! How are we supposed to sell a phone where you cannot add storage or replace the battery when you have always been able to do that?"
Company Marketing Executive: "A sealed phone? Sounds waterproof to me! We will market it that way!"

G5 owner, all I want is to continue to be able to swap my battery...I'll give up micro sd (the way android handles them is less than perfect anyways) IR blaster, etc. Just let me use my damn mobile device while I'm...MOBILE

Back