LG intros two new Sandy Bridge notebooks with "crystalline finish"

Matthew DeCarlo

LG has introduced a pair of brightly colored Sandy Bridge notebooks -- the S430 and S530 -- to its Aurora family. Both machines have been treated with a "crystalline finish," which LG describes as an "innovative" coating process that utilizes NCVM (Non-Conductive Vapor Metallization) technology to produce a glossy metallic veneer that protects the lid from dings. While it may aid against scratches, there's no word about how the crystalline finish withstands fingerprints.

Besides their unusual finish, the new Aurora notebooks are standard fare among today's mass market multimedia laptops. The S430 carries a 14.1-inch 1366x768 display while the S530 is upgraded to a 15.6-inch 1600x900 panel, and both will be offered with an Intel Pentium, Core i3 or Core i5 processor, up to 8GB of RAM, as much as 750GB of mechanical storage, and a DVD burner. Select models will have their integrated Intel graphics augmented by a Radeon HD 6470M.

aurora s430

Other features include Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0, USB 2.0 ports, a 7-in-1 card reader, a 1-megapixel webcam, presumably HDMI or some other video output interface, and a six-cell battery (no mention of battery life). Fully loaded, the smaller machine weighs about 2.6kg (5.7lbs) but that can be reduced to 2.45kg by removing the optical drive. The systems are set to hit shelves in the Middle East, Africa and Asia next month. Pricing is unknown.

Permalink to story.

I'm a huge fan of LG laptops, but they can be pretty hard to find in the USA (and subsequently Canada).
Hopefully newer models like these will sell well enough for them to expand into the north american market with more models.

Back