LG launches the Gram, its ultra-light MacBook Air competitor, in the US

midian182

Staff member

While LG is well known in the US for its range of TVs, smartphones and various household appliances, the company is also a big manufacturer of computers - although these were previously only sold in other territories. But now, LG is bringing its ultrabook-style, Windows 10-equipped LG Gram laptops to American shores.

The ‘Gram’ name refers to the laptop’s incredibly light weight of just 2.16 pounds, which makes it even lighter than an 11-inch MacBook air. There will be three LG Gram models available: a $899, 13-inch version that comes with an Intel Core i5 processor, 128GB of SSD storage and 8GB of RAM; a $999, 14-inch model with the same specs; and another 14-inch Gram priced at $1399 that boasts an i7 processor and a 256GB SSD. It’s worth noting that the LG Grams use Broadwell processors rather than the more recent Skylake variety.

Despite only being 1080p, the LG Gram’s IPS LCD screen is said to look stunning from all angles. And whille the laptop's design looks very similar to the MacBook Air, it’s been pointed out that the Gram’s chassis - made of carbon magnesium and lithium magnesium alloys - doesn't feel as sturdy as Apple’s unibody aluminum machines. Additionally, although the Gram lacks the keyboard light and SD card reader found on so many similar laptops, it does come with a HDMI port and microSD reader.

“We recognize this is an extremely competitive category, and are confident consumers will respond well to this product that combines powerful performance with lightweight design.” said LG Electronics USA vice president of marketing David VanderWaal in a press release.

It appears as if LG is aiming its machine at those looking for a non-Apple incarnation of an ultra-light, portable laptop. But we’ll just have to wait and see if the Gram turns out to be a good alternative to the incredibly popular MacBook Air.

Permalink to story.

I'll solve this problem for everyone looking for a new ultrabook. This formula works for iFans and iHaters.

1. Is it a MacBook Air?
2. If no, see (1)

There are so many solid PC machines out there these days, I no longer see the need to compare everything to Apple products. It's getting kind of crazy.

Looks nice good price, I owned a LG laptop year ago wen they sold them in canada and I must say its the bast laptop ive ever owened, great monitor ,never overheated (with nvidia graphic ) decent weight (for the time)

unfortunatly for this one no SD is a bummer has I love to do my photo editing on my laptop vs my tower thats in the basement

Back