LG Optimus LTE2 announced, packs 2GB RAM and Android 4.0

Jos

Staff

LG hoped to steal some of the attention directed at Samsung by teasing the newest member of its Optimus lineup on the same day the Galaxy S III was announced. Although the latter still managed to hog the entire mobile spotlight, the new LG Optimus LTE2 looks like it could give Samsung a good run for its money.

Starting off with the design and build quality, the Optimus LTE2 features a glass and metal casing, rather than the glossy plastic exterior of the Galaxy series. It also comes with 2GB of RAM, a first for any smartphone, as well as a TrueHD IPS display using a standard RGBG subpixel layout that's expected to outclass the PenTile RGBG layout used by Samsung in the Galaxy S III. Other features include wireless charging with a separate dock, 4G LTE connectivity, a large 2150 mAh battery and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

optimus lte2 2gb ram truehd ips

Unfortunately, processor and screen size/resolution are two key specs that still remain under wraps, but taking into account what's been revealed so far we can probably expect them to be top of the line as well.

The LG Optimus LTE2 should arrive in South Korea sometime in the middle of this month and will be available on at least three leading Korean mobile carriers for a yet undisclosed price point. There was no mention of when LG's new flagship smartphone will hit the US and other major markets.

Permalink to story.

I like the design, and 2GB of ram should be enough to keep pretty much every (non-game) application open with room to spare.

Recently I made a comment about SGS III on another "mobile tech" site, which I will be quoting here:

"I am not sure that the current focus on hardware side (mostly pushed by Samsung + LG + HTC etc.) is beneficial or healthy for consumers, since few months down the road today?s top dog will be ?near obsolete?. So, if we take a look at PCs (where the up-gradation cycle has lengthened) while the software is being constantly serviced (e.g. Windows receive 5/10 years updates for users/enterprise customers), so if the same doesn't happen in mobile space, I suspect consumers will stop upgrading to a new phone every 9-12 months, as how much money one can push down the drain anyway?

IMHO focus must be shifted on providing 'best possible user experience', which can only be achieved through focus on software (which in general Apple is doing better to some extent). That is why iOS gives far superior user experience compared to Android (which is a resource hog + unstable + bad performer + security nightmare if not careful), even WP outshines it in all these areas.

Based on this I'd say, tech sites aren't doing justice either, as their attention is grabbed by 'every new piece of hardware' they see coming."

Luckily, the writer agreed with this argument, and commented back that in future they will ensure that focus must be shifted to software side of things as well including "improved user experience + satisfaction".

I have quoted this example before, but there is no shying away from this fact, my Sensation Z710e (which has a dual core SoC running at 1.2Ghz) is beaten hands down in everyday applications by my Lumia 800 (with a single core SoC) without any trouble at all. This fact was also noted by Leeky, only difference is he had SGS II at the receiving end of Lumia 800. So better hardware, doesn't always mean you are getting the best possible overall product / solution.

I gotta agree with Archean here.

I tested one of the most popular android phone: Galaxy S II. as I was browsing through the menu and looking at some camera snapshots, I can't believe a dual-core phone with 1GB of RAM makes it seem it is underpowered. and it wasn't only my friends' but also those display set located at samsung dealers. my WP with much weaker specification doesn't have those problems. I dont care if you can install custom ROM to make it faster or root and install loads of unsigned application to make it fast.

I consider myself a tech savvy. but for once I'd like to have something that works right without any form of modification. and right now only WP and iOS provides that. back to the topic, I think the induction charging feature on this LG is interesting. wonder what items would be included in the final retail package.

For last many months I have been trying to come up with reasons of success of android and I can come up with only few listed here:

a) Its a freebie copycat of iOS (only inferior as copycats usually are), so it doesn't cost a dime to manufacturers
b) Its highly customizable
c) Apple's strategy with regard to iphone availability on limited careers

If Apple addresses the third reason & MS is able to convince careers that WP is superior OS (which it is) I see no reason in android's share quickly diminishing from at least the US market. Secondly, if I was a betting man (which I am not) I would bet that likes of Samsung are probably thinking about forking out their own modified android to take control of their future direction, and breaking away from Google, which can be detrimental to Google's influence as well.

well the reason a) is highly relevant. the first iphone (2G) come out locked to a&t and only available in the US, here in southeast asia not many people use it. when 3G comes out for the world, I can feel the hype amongst community, including us tech-savvy. then the first HTC G1 with android 1.5 appears, proving to the world it can provides iOS-like interface with higher customizability. since then alot of androids appears, and important part is that manufacturer like samsung could sell different kind of androids at different pricerange. it allows people with tight budget to get a smartphone with iOS-like interface.

WP join the game but it's too late. the first iteration of WP does not allow multitasking, something that puts off many android users, thinking that even apple has already provides multitasking in iOS3 one full year in advance. what's more, before the lumia the WPs are fairly expensive and unpopular.

regarding reason b) and c) both of them makes sense but somehow im inclined towards reason a). There was a time I visited a Motorola store and almost purchased a Motorola Defy. but after trying it out it feels like an imitation of something. it is not even fluid anywhere. then I found LG Optimus 7 at slightly cheaper price with much better specification, and much fluid experience, more than what iOS offers. so im giving WP7 a shot. looks like I made a good deal, not only it is fast, it doesnt look anywhere near iOS. One of my favourite feature is slide to view camera snapshots, a feature that has been copied into iOS 5 few months later. When I told a friend their iOS5 feature is stolen from WP, they didn't believe me. so I showed them there is zero delay when going from image gallery back to camera as opposed to 2sec delay on the iOS5.

I am not sure 'multi-tasking' like desktop is going to happen on mobiles, nor it is needed ATM, so iOS + WP's limited implementation make perfect sense, as this provide best possible performance and user experience.

I don't think WP is too late, on the contrary, Android's success mainly happened due to factors I mentioned earlier, add this to the fact that Google 'decides' how the OS will evolve, effectively ruling out manufacturer's input on this. So all in all, it will be beneficial to have many players competing.

@Archean. I totally agree. I made simialr (more or less) comments on another site. Given the price, compared to other computing devices, smartphones and mobile services just do not measure up to the utility and satisfaction of laptops or PCs. Great point on the review sites' overemphasis on HW. I guess that is part of the side effect of having a standard OS; it makes reviewing HW easier. While standards forge uniformity, it unfortunately quenches creativity.

@nismo91 and @Archean,
I am glad to hear some good feedback on WP7. I played with one at TMobile store and it seems responsive. I am seriously pondering switching from Android to WP8 when it arrives. To be honest, my old Android has been doing OK but as you pointed out, for a few hundred bucks and being tied to a 2-year contract, I was expecting it to last more than two years. At 2 years old, it is barely usable now; freezing and choking quite a bit. It seems WP could change that. Besides, MS' recent WP7 to WP7.5 upgrade deployment logistic impressed me.

Earlier I was commenting on a Nokia site on something and couldn't resist sharing my thoughts that ideal smartphone should have 'two efficient cores with max. of 768MB/1GB RAM, CB SAMOLED HD 4" +/- screen, camera (808), decent storage+sdcard slot, with WP8'. I am sure a dual core WP phone will easily toast any quad core droids out there.

Back