LG Pad coming in Q1 2011 with Android 3.5, Tegra 2

Emil

Much like Asus, LG Electronics is also interested in joining the tablet wars in early 2011. Unlike Asus, however, the world's third biggest handset vendor is only working on one device (that we know of).

The company is planning on launching an 8.9-inch tablet running Android 3.5 (codenamed Honeycomb), according to mk (via Engadget. The LG Pad will arrive in the first quarter of 2011 and will ship with a dual-core Tegra 2 chip inside.

Officially, LG is refusing to say anything about the news. LG's device will be rolled out in South Korea and overseas early next year, making it the first tablet PC for the South Korean technology giant. LG dropped a plan to introduce tablets based on Android 2.2 (codenamed Froyo), citing the need for an Android version more suitable for tablets.

The decision to use a later version of Android is important: version 3.0 (codenamed Gingerbread) and version 3.5 have yet to be released, but both of them are supposed to have tablet improvements built-in. Gingerbread is expected to be released before the end of the year and Honeycomb should arrive in early 2011. We expect that LG will begin testing its device with Android 3.0, send Google its feedback, and hope that version 3.5 will bring the improvements it needs.

LG is following in another company's footsteps: Lenovo is also holding back its US tablet plans until Honeycomb. We should be grateful that neither of them is waiting for Ice Cream.

Permalink to story.

Man the different versions of android is getting somewhat confusing. Eaither way, this has great potentional, 8.9" is a pretty nice screen size. Comon dual core processor!

Man the different versions of android is getting somewhat confusing. Eaither way, this has great potentional, 8.9" is a pretty nice screen size. Comon dual core processor!

How is it confusing? Every version just has a code name.
1.5=Cupcake
1.6=Donut
2.0/2.1=Eclair
2.2 =Froyo
3.0=Gingerbread (could also be 2.3, "Honeycomb" could be 3.0, or 3.5)
3.5=Is speculated, again, could be "Honeycomb". Could also be known as "Ice Cream", or 4.0 could be "Ice Cream"
Pretty much anything past 2.2 is rumored, and is not definite.

Simple, see? LOL - I guess it can be confusing can't it

Its really just the whole 2.3/3.0 gingerbread/honeycomb thing that gets confusing, more so when different sites report different rumors. It does not make me love android any less tho haha.

I've gotta say, this sounds to be the most interesting Tablet of them all. Thing is though, wasn't their some sort of troubles with the Nvidia Tegra 2? Bad drivers or something else? I was reading about it not too long ago. Might have been reported here too. Otherwise, the Tegra 2 seems to be quite a powerful combo of chips.

customcarvin said:

How is it confusing? Every version just has a code name.
1.5=Cupcake
1.6=Donut
2.0/2.1=Eclair
2.2 =Froyo
3.0=Gingerbread (could also be 2.3, "Honeycomb" could be 3.0, or 3.5)
3.5=Is speculated, again, could be "Honeycomb". Could also be known as "Ice Cream", or 4.0 could be "Ice Cream"
Pretty much anything past 2.2 is rumored, and is not definite.

Simple, see? LOL - I guess it can be confusing can't it

@_@

I seriously hope they settle down with these updates soon enough, and move to a rotating cycle of some sort. Perhaps two to three years. Realease big updates, rather than incremental updates over time. Do not get me wrong, I understand that currently they are trying to bust through barriers such as tablet compatability, and user friendlyness. But, I will be very happy once these settle down and we see something like Android 2012, Android 2014, etc.

As for the code names...dear god they are confusing. I honestly did not understand them until you wrote out that list just now. Thanks by the way.

Nice... a bigger display on this one. I hope it is an IPS or MVA panel with good viewing angle though. And i'm also glad to see they are waiting for a better suited OS. Spend time perfecting hardware in the meantime. I am willing to wait for a solid product.

I would also like to see the ability to install Windows 7, or purchase the device with Windows 7 instead of Android. I'm some people would do this... it can only increase the cost what? $150 or so?

How many version of Android will be on the market? It is going to look like Linux with its distros. Multiple incompatible versions...

Why are these companies so slow to bring out these tablets. The iPad was no surprise and we will be at nearly a year since its release until we see something comparable. I find it strange how fast all these manufacturers were able to ramp up Netbooks after the Asus EEpc, but how slow the same companies are at making a decent tablet. .

waiting for the right time to release a good product is a good decision. ANDROID is still not ready for the tablet market and there is nothing besides windows as an alternative.

klpowell said:
Why are these companies so slow to bring out these tablets. The iPad was no surprise and we will be at nearly a year since its release until we see something comparable. I find it strange how fast all these manufacturers were able to ramp up Netbooks after the Asus EEpc, but how slow the same companies are at making a decent tablet. .

Be patient... no offence, but it is people with your sort of demand level that can cause manufactures to release products too early without sufficient testing just to get sales. Aside from that i'm sure there just isn't enough skilled labor available in the raw materials processing and product manufacturing to get them out quickly.

I would rather them spend a little extra time perfecting their product instead of rush-releasing it. We are all broke anyway so this will be a hard market to capture. Only *****s with more money than brains that are brainwashed with apple products have money for this stuff.

You know maybe these companies should stop tryin to make something like apple but more sophisticated and end up sucking........ try the APPLE technique go simple and for everyone dont have a specific group in mind that you target with products,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, target everyone and you will be successful i have been waitin for a tablet that I can say without a doubt is better than apples but i havent found any so far...............i wonder how this one will turn out,...........

Hope there isn't an overkill of tabs because everyone seems to jump in with their own tablet what if tabs don't succeed at all everyone is going down big time then.

Back