LG rolls out world's first OLED TV with 4K resolution

1. LG has announced it's set to start selling its first 4K OLED TV, which will be available in 77- and 65-inch screen sizes -- models 77EG9700 and 65EC9700, respectively. Pre-orders for both models begin in Korea this week, with availability in key...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

Their were a couple of things he forgot to say so I'll just add them in italics and parenthesis below:

"LG 4K OLED TV is the pinnacle of technological achievement (until tomorrow lunchtime) and a new paradigm that will change the dynamics of the next generation TV market (if only Samsung and others would keep their noses out),"
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

Down to half-price by year end, I'd wager...
    cmbjive likes this.
  4. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

Considering that when 4K came on the market the base price for one was $4,500 and now you can get a non-Seiki 4K TV for as low as $1,600 you're not far off the mark.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I don't know... I think a 4K OLED TV is just about the pinnacle of current TV tech for the next 5-7 years at least. As far as calling it a new paradigm, that's a straight up exaggeration. TV was a new paradigm compared to radio, and if we get 3D holographic television someday then we can say a new paradigm has arrived.

4K OLED is a combination of resolution and display tech; neither of which will likely change in the next 5-7 years because...
    1) Display tech... LCD has been around for what 10 years? OLED will probably replace it and may enjoy an equally long tenure.
    2) resolution - won't be improved upon probably ever. we can't see much higher than 4k resolution, and that's only in a huge screen which most homes can't justify in their small living rooms. Not to mention, we're already behind on content and bandwidth to supply those 4K TVs.

I would say it's accurate to say a 4K OLED TV is the start of the next generation of TV. But a paradigm shift? nope.
  6. BreathlessTao

BreathlessTao TS Rookie

...why is it showing a picture of the Hungarian Parliament building though? o.o
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

OLED could be viable if the price dropped but at the moment it's not an option and it has been around for a good while now.
    As you say it could be the next big thing in screen tech but then it could go the way of plasma screens, my money is on the latter.
  8. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,079   +331

Nothing wrong with it only sticking around for a couple years. I'm on plasma now and will not go back to LCD for a inferior picture. So next stop for me is OLED and if I have to wait 5 years for the pricing to go down I can wait. By that time where will be enough content to warrant a 4k Tv. And..... we may finally have broadcasters sending out shows in 1080p at a minimum.
  9. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

4K's problem is that screens need to be larger to view them optimally. A 65" set like this is only good between 3 - 7 feet distance. I don't know anyone with a living room smaller than a bedroom. Ideally, these sets should start out at 80", and then scale up past 120" from there. They're not even close to hitting that affordability mark, and these are the smaller cheap TV sets.