LG reveals new OLED monitors, including one that can switch from 4K/240Hz to 1080p/480Hz...

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: New monitor announcements have been arriving thick and fast ahead of the start of CES, but LG's latest lineup of UltraGear OLED displays includes a model that sounds very interesting: a 32-inch monitor that can switch between 480Hz@1080p and 240Hz@4K modes with the press of a button.

The 32GS95UE is LG's first monitor to come with a Dual-Hz feature, allowing users to switch between 4K (3,840 x 2,160) at 240Hz and Full-HD (1,920 x 1,080) at 480Hz with a click of a hotkey or even a joystick directional switch. It could be an excellent feature for those who like to quickly alternate between what is already a very high refresh rate to an eSports-focused one.

In addition to offering all the benefits of OLED, the monitor has VESA DisplayHDR True Black 400 certification, a 0.03ms GtG response time, 98.5% coverage of the DCI-P3 color gamut, and a 1,500,000:1 contrast ratio. It's also G-Sync and FreeSync Premium Pro compatible, while connectivity is provided by two HDMI 2.1 ports, a single DisplayPort 1.4, and 4-pole headphone out (DTS Headphone:X).

LG also highlights the 32GS95UE's sound system. The company says the monitor creates a three-dimensional soundscape with Pixel Sound technology and an integrated front-facing sound system featuring two woofers and support for DTS Virtual:X. The speakers are hidden behind the OLED panel, which the company says saves desk space by eliminating the need for external speakers.

LG also announced 34-inch and 39-inch OLED monitors, both with 3,400 x 1,440 resolutions (21:9), 240Hz refresh rates, and 800R curved screens. They have pretty much the same other specs and features as the 32GS95UE, but lack the integrated speakers and presumably the Dual-Hz tech.

Finally, LG will be introducing a pair of 45-inch curved OLEDs (3,400 x 1,440, 240Hz) for those who like to go large with their monitors. There will also be a cheaper 26.5-inch OLED with a 1,440p resolution and 240Hz refresh rate. Expect to learn more details soon.

High refresh rate 32-inch 4K OLED monitors appear to be the way the high-end industry is heading. We recently heard that HP, Dell, Asus, and MSI all plan to reveal their own models in the first quarter of 2024.

Permalink to story.

45” is a tad big for 1440p.

Give me a 38-40” 3840 x 1600 version and I’m in.

I don’t even care about the silly 1080p mode. But an OLED version of my current monitor with a 144-ish refresh would be great.

For reference the 500hz TN panels are going for wait it $899. This definitely fills a wide spectrum of gaming use cases and makes those other options obsolete imo. Although the price is key.

34" is just boring same low res as forever. How about they offer a premium version with say 4000 x 1800. 120Hz would be plenty. What card is going run any AAA title at 4K @ 240Hz anyway.

"45” is a tad big for 1440p."

By tad do you mean about 60%. 27" is about as large as I'd want something only 1440p.

I wonder, what percentage of the profit these extra premium displays bring to their manufacturers. One of these is 3-4 monitors of low to mid tier. I wonder if they sell 1 of these for every 3 mid tier devices.

I assume the 32" 1080p will look pretty good because it can be scaled easily but that's still going to feel prettty zoomed in

Last edited:
34" is just boring same low res as forever. How about they offer a premium version with say 4000 x 1800. 120Hz would be plenty. What card is going run any AAA title at 4K @ 240Hz anyway.

"45” is a tad big for 1440p."

By tad do you mean about 60%. 27" is about as large as I'd want something only 1440p.

I just bought an LG 27" QHD and it's the perfect resolution/size for me as well.

A "woofer" built into a monitor? I'd like to see LG's definition of a woofer 🤨

I don't know why monitor manufacturers even bother with built-in sound anymore, when a $20 set of external speakers will handily outperform most built-ins, and a decent $50 set of headphones will destroy them in frequency range, dynamic range, and stereo separation.

Last edited:
A "woofer" built into a monitor? I'd like to see LG's definition of a woofer 🤨

I don't know why monitor manufacturers even bother with built-in sound anymore, when a $20 set of external speakers will handily outperform most built-ins, and a decent $50 set of headphones will destroy them in frequency range, dynamic range, and stereo separation.
A head does not get tired from speakers like it does from headphones, even the best ones.
Having used both headphones and decent floor speakers, I spend more time with speakers for this reason.
Also, these small builtin speakers get better. They are not what they were even 10 years ago. I assume it is thanks to advances of tech used in phones where very small speakers are still able to produce good sound.

A head does not get tired from speakers like it does from headphones, even the best ones.
Having used both headphones and decent floor speakers, I spend more time with speakers for this reason.
Also, these small builtin speakers get better. They are not what they were even 10 years ago. I assume it is thanks to advances of tech used in phones where very small speakers are still able to produce good sound.
That's fair - I forgot that the tiny drivers in my phone are somewhat impressive for their size. I guess I haven't heard built-ins for a long time because none of the last few monitors I've owned have had speakers, and the ones before those were awful. I have a pretty decent desktop set right now for news, light music etc. but the good headphones always go on for movies and music sessions.

Back