LG sells 1 million webOS-powered smart TVs in 3 months

Justin Kahn

webos-powered tvs webos lg 1 million smart tvs

LG has announced that its webOS-powered Smart+ HDTVs have surpassed 1 million in sales. The Korean manufacturer launched the new displays back in March and have hit the 1 million mark in just under 4 months time. After being initially revealed in January of 2014, LG expects to have 10 million of its webOS TVs out in the wild by half way through 2015.

“Reaching the one million mark in just three months is a significant achievement in the TV industry,” said In-kyu Lee, the senior VP and head of TV at LG.

Those number don't sound all that unattainable either. The company's line of smart TVs are yet to roll out worldwide, but LG says they will be available in over 150 markets by the end of this month. To further bolster interest in its new displays, the company will also be extending its "LG Smart+ TV Experience Zones" program to more retail outlets.

While there is a hint of Palm still left in webOS since LG purchased it back in 2013, the company revamped it completely as what it considers to be a simple but effective smart TV OS. "Rather than continuing to add more and more functions into our smart TVs that few people will ever use," Lee said in a recent press release regarding the milestone, "we’ve decided to focus on simplicity with our 2014 Smart+ TVs with webOS. Consumers seem to share our view that this is the right direction for the evolution of smart TVs going forward.”

Permalink to story.

Am I the only one whos thinking the same thing here?, Who cares? Smart TV"s arent smart they are terrible...

On the other hand, using a raspberry pi does more or less the same thing?

I have a smart TV but I just ended up connecting my old laptop to it...

Facepalm.

And what is with all the Updates my TV has been receiving, I never know what is being updated...

Thanks LG.

That is actually quite impressive.
I like you JC, you're the most easily impressed person I've ever come across (which can be good, or bad). As you get older you'll wonder why you were then you'll become cynical (which can be bad, or good). I'm confused now... :confused::D

Last edited:
I like you JC, you're the most easily impressed person I've ever come across (which can be good, or bad). As you get older you'll wonder why you were then you'll become cynical (which can be bad, or good). I'm confused now... :confused::D
Lol, I am impressed because I wouldn't expect these numbers from LG :p. You can probably tell I am a Samsung TV guy XD.

Smart TV all the way. I'd rather stream using my TV than some $100 box doing it for me. I'd rather use that money for a wall mount. I love LG's UI, but I'm not set on any brand yet.

They should put XBMC on top, and LG would be my next tv, until then I'll stick to my HTPC with XBMC connected to TV.

Lol, I am impressed because I wouldn't expect these numbers from LG :p. You can probably tell I am a Samsung TV guy XD.
They have to impress. If LG can't successfully compete against Samsung then their race is over even before they've left the starting stall.

Back