LG to show off the world's first 21:9 curved IPS monitor at next month's IFA trade show

Shawn Knight

Staff member

unveil world curved ips monitor ifa samsung lg ips monitor thunderbolt 2 galaxy note 4

IFA 2014 is fast approaching and in addition to the debut of the Galaxy Note 4, we can now expect to see the world's first 21:9 curved IPS monitor courtesy of LG.

The massive 34-inch monitor, model 34UC97, is a widescreen affair designed for both professional users and home entertainment enthusiasts. It features a Quad HD resolution of 3,440 1,440 pixels, supports Thunderbolt 2 connectivity and is compatible with both PCs and Macs.

As you may know, Thunderbolt 2 offers data transfer rates of up to 20Gbps in both directions. LG is quick to remind us that it is also four times faster than USB 3.0 and allows multiple devices to be daisy chained together.

The monitor also features MAXX AUDIO with a 7w speaker system. It'll likely be no match for a quality set of external speakers or headphones but if you've got nothing else, I suspect it'll do just nicely.

Hyoung-sei Park, head of the IT Business Division at LG Electronics' Home Entertainment Company, notes that many people spend more time in front of computer monitors than they do in front of TV sets and yet the industry's biggest monitor manufacturers don't seem to innovate at the same pace as TV manufacturers.

The IFA trade show kicks off in Berlin starting on September 5 and runs through the 10th. If you're in the area and want to catch the 34-inch curved display in action, head over to Hall 11.2.

Permalink to story.

Wow. After seeing a curved UHD Samsung LED TV at my local hh gregg I have to say that the curved screens really do make a viewing difference for the better -- a lot better.

In other words, they are going to take their currently sold LG 34UM95, stretch it from 34" to 37" and then bend it? I don't think it is such a good idea. Everybody who bought it says the current size and resolution are already perfect (which is the same 3,440 x 1,440), which means for one thing, they are reducing the DPI by making the same screen wider. But that existing screen is already the perfect 21:9. I think all they can do is break it. Plus there is nothing exciting in seeing a bigger screen with still the same resolution. We'll see...

Wow. After seeing a curved UHD Samsung LED TV at my local hh gregg I have to say that the curved screens really do make a viewing difference for the better -- a lot better.

Really? With the screen divided into 3 parts by bezels. That's "better"?

I was referring to the UD screens I saw that were one piece. If they can do that with monitors it will be very nice indeed.

I was referring to the UD screens I saw that were one piece. If they can do that with monitors it will be very nice indeed.
The picture attendant to the article shows split bezels, thus 3 separate screens. Agreed, it would likely be better as a one piece curved. Isn't that what Imax is all about?

I expect the picture could be an artist's rendering, or whatever. But, it needs to reach consumers as a single piece screen

21:9?
Why don't they reduce it to 7:3?

Really? With the screen divided into 3 parts by bezels. That's "better"?
The image above is 3 x 21:9 monitors not 1 single 21:9 monitor. I don't know why you think the bezel would be an issue, unless using multiple monitors.

Edit: you ninja'd me before I posted. :)

21:9?
Why don't they reduce it to 7:3?
I guess for the same reason they never reduced "16:10" to "8:5". With the denominator being the height, it makes for an easy comparison of relative height. (maybe).

Possibile reason two! If they called it what it is, "2.35 to 1:00", they might have to pay royalties to "CinemaScope".

Now, look at the picture in the article. That looks like 3/ 16:10's pushed together. Each one of those panels is certainly NOT 21:9!

At least not in that rendering.

Here's 21:9 LG
A2RY_130373618464231126KqP9BfRFa3.jpg
It doesn't even remotely look like the aspect ratios in the panels shown.

Last edited:
Now all we need is for AMD/Nvidia to get their act together and release something affordable to drive those pixel.

Back