LG's CineBeam ultra short throw 4K projector is a budget buster

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: With a peak brightness of 2,700 ANSI lumens and a contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1, the HU85LA is said to produce clear images in any indoor environment. That's great news if you're looking to set up shop in a living room without blackout curtains.

LG at the Consumer Electronics Show in January demoed an impressive ultra short throw projector in the LG HU85LA. Now more than seven months later, it’s finally available although coercing your wallet to agree to the purchase could prove difficult.

The LG HU85LA can project a 90-inch image from just 2.2 inches away. Pull it back just 7.2 inches from the wall and you’ll get a massive 120-inch projection, both at a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 pixels with HDR10 and dynamic tone mapping. It utilizes three-channel laser technology that “supports wider color coverage Rec.709 and DCI” and “can ensure incredible color reproduction performances up to 12 bit color processing.”

LG’s latest additionally features LG’s ThinQ AI technology with the Google Assistant built in, allow you to control playback with your voice. Other amenities include USB, Ethernet, Bluetooth and HDMI connectivity as well as dual 5W speakers. A two-year parts and labor warranty comes standard.

The LG HU85LA 4K UHD Laser Smart Home Theater CineBeam Projector (say that five times fast) is available to purchase from writing priced at $5,999.99.

Permalink to story.

6K FOR A PROJECTOR?!? LG is headed for bankruptcy as it's very obviously suicidal! Time to call my broker and dump their paper asap!

I am particularly interested in how much the lamps cost and how often to replace them.

At this price, there are options for lcd or led tvs I believe though. Those dont require changing lamps, and are still brighter than this projector.

The thing I really like about this device is aesthetics. Nothing on the wall, and a stylish projector/speaker box in front.

Very nice but nobody - but NOBODY, ever shows the cables actually running the thing, or any other A/V gear, come to that, unless they are mysteriously channeled in the wall overnight by the plaster pixies. Items like speakers are always shown apparently running on fresh air. I appreciate there's wireless-driven gear these days but product pictures never QUITE look like the installation in MY house! :)

I am particularly interested in how much the lamps cost and how often to replace them.

At this price, there are options for lcd or led tvs I believe though. Those dont require changing lamps, and are still brighter than this projector.

The thing I really like about this device is aesthetics. Nothing on the wall, and a stylish projector/speaker box in front.
Lamp would cost $6,000 because it's a laser projector. Laser projectors don't use lamps and usually have a lifespan about 25,000 hours and then they are dead for good. They don't dim over time like lamps, though.

Lamp would cost $6,000 because it's a laser projector. Laser projectors don't use lamps and usually have a lifespan about 25,000 hours and then they are dead for good. They don't dim over time like lamps, though.

And hopefully in 13 years you will have enough of it. Also, there are cheaper laser projectors. Much cheaper.

I wonder if there are unbranded versions for sale on Wish that are more affordable!

Very nice but nobody - but NOBODY, ever shows the cables actually running the thing, or any other A/V gear, come to that, unless they are mysteriously channeled in the wall overnight by the plaster pixies. Items like speakers are always shown apparently running on fresh air. I appreciate there's wireless-driven gear these days but product pictures never QUITE look like the installation in MY house! :)
You're right. I have a short-throw projector on a table 4 feet from the screen and I have a bunch of cables running across the floor for the power, HDMI, soundbar, subwoofer and the charger for the Chromecast.

It uses laser that is one of the reasons for the price. They last roughly 20 years or so.

I wonder if there are unbranded versions for sale on Wish that are more affordable!
If there was, I would definitely have lower brightness and less reliable hardware.
I remember well first Chinese phones which were mimicking Apple and Samsung.
If this is something LG has put a lot of new stuff, I doubt there will be cheap projectors with the same quality and picture.

The short throw makes sense for a living room, but even the best projectors look awful in ambient light.
Projectors look great in dark theater setups, but anyone who has built a home theater would already have a mount for a projector above.
So the audience for this appears to be limited to those looking to build a new home theater and for some reason wants to spend thousands extra to avoid mounting a regular projector.
Cool product though.

All home visual stuff costs when it arrives. Remember $5k for a 1080p 42 inch plasma not that long ago? Patience people, just like Trump's popularity - it will decrease.

Lasers are diodes, no lamps to replace. They will last many years, no worries.

The short throw makes sense for a living room, but even the best projectors look awful in ambient light.
Projectors look great in dark theater setups, but anyone who has built a home theater would already have a mount for a projector above.
So the audience for this appears to be limited to those looking to build a new home theater and for some reason wants to spend thousands extra to avoid mounting a regular projector.
Cool product though.

Yes, and that 'some reason' is living room aesthetics and performance, it's quite bright and would look nice on grey screen designed for ambient light rooms. And of course WAF regarding a ceiling-mounted projector.

You're right. I have a short-throw projector on a table 4 feet from the screen and I have a bunch of cables running across the floor for the power, HDMI, soundbar, subwoofer and the charger for the Chromecast.

You sound like a candidate for 7.2" and 120" display.

It's laser - not a bulb

Not entirely accurate - you can buy ambient light rejecting screens these days, that basically only reflect from either down or up, so will only reflect the light from the projector, making it perfectly useable in sunlight lit rooms - have a perusal on Youtube for this in your own leisure.

Cool product though.

Of course they don't, why would that help in the advert? Did you know they always use small models sitting on the sofas when recording a Sofa advert, or use glue to fill up a bowl and place cereal on top of the glue? That's not milk, it is just a trick to make things look as best as they can. It is possible to hide wires if you are prepared to mess around with floorboards, dry wall and plaster, but it is quite a lot of faffing.

Back