TechSpot

LG's flexible, plastic e-ink display hits mass production

By Jos
Mar 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. LG today announced that it has begun mass production of the world's first flexible e-ink display. The 6-inch panel that promises to "revolutionize the e-book market" sports a resolution of…

Read the whole story

2. this is amazing, i was expecting this technology in 5 years

3. Butch

Butch TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

Very cool. Hopefully it will be as durable as they indicate..

4. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

Proof read much? :p

But seriously, this is awesome. Like the first guest said, I honestly did not expect this technology this soon. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up in the real world. There's a lot than can go wrong here.

5. bielius

bielius TS Booster Posts: 228   +14

Yeah i noticed that "Will enable will enable" part too!

6. is it limited to displaying black and white right now? picture doesnt show any colors in the display. although i do think if i remember correctly like the first kindle and stuff like that were black and white

7. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,690   +60

Looks cool indeed I actually expected this sooner my brother read about this tech or something very similar in popular mechanic about 7 years ago and wouldn't shut up about it lol.

8. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

Yes EPD or E-Ink is still currently only black and white. It is a different technology used than the LCD displays used in other devices (like the KIndle Fire). For more information see this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophoretic_display#Electrophoretic

9. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 969   +118

Come one, I expect stuff like that from Shawn(sometimes Rick), but I know you know better than that Jose.

Anyway, awesome tech. I wonder if it will have an application outside of e-readers.

10. Props to LG for bringing new tech to market! Hope this speeds up flexible display development and lowers prices. Cool stuff.

11. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 202   +27

Suck it circuit boards.

12. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Just because it is cheaper does not mean that we will be paying less: LED monitors and TVs are cheaper than the alternatives but we paid more for a long period of time…

13. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,693   +86

2560x1440p would be more ideal for these type of EPD, but still LCD Mono-Chrome is the first to come out over Color type. Prices should be high then fall after it get made but the masses. LCD, LCD/LED all these will be replace by this technology. It's coming soon now. HDTV, GPS an etc.. are sure to follow too.

14. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

So for the picture they printed the New York Times at such a small resolution that you'd need a magnifying glass to read it? Yeah, not sure what I'm supposed to use this for.

15. Very cool, except pcbs don't bend ! So what use is this except to create a curved surface to fit a back pocket ? So will we soon be choosing readers based on butt size and curvature ? I can't think that'll catch on...

16. "a lot than can go wrong"? Proof read much?

17. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +388

when im rich, im using this stuff as wallpaper.

18. @example1013: You mean high resolution. ;p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.