TechSpot

LG's flexible, plastic e-ink display hits mass production

By Jos
Mar 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. LG today announced that it has begun mass production of the world's first flexible e-ink display. The 6-inch panel that promises to "revolutionize the e-book market" sports a resolution of…

Read the whole story

2. this is amazing, i was expecting this technology in 5 years

3. Butch

Butch TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

Very cool. Hopefully it will be as durable as they indicate..

4. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 797   +17

Proof read much? :p

But seriously, this is awesome. Like the first guest said, I honestly did not expect this technology this soon. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up in the real world. There's a lot than can go wrong here.

5. bielius

bielius TS Booster Posts: 211   +14

Yeah i noticed that "Will enable will enable" part too!

6. is it limited to displaying black and white right now? picture doesnt show any colors in the display. although i do think if i remember correctly like the first kindle and stuff like that were black and white

7. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,873   +134

Looks cool indeed I actually expected this sooner my brother read about this tech or something very similar in popular mechanic about 7 years ago and wouldn't shut up about it lol.

8. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 611   +44

Yes EPD or E-Ink is still currently only black and white. It is a different technology used than the LCD displays used in other devices (like the KIndle Fire). For more information see this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophoretic_display#Electrophoretic

9. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,626   +613

Come one, I expect stuff like that from Shawn(sometimes Rick), but I know you know better than that Jose.

Anyway, awesome tech. I wonder if it will have an application outside of e-readers.

10. Props to LG for bringing new tech to market! Hope this speeds up flexible display development and lowers prices. Cool stuff.

11. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 288   +58

Suck it circuit boards.

12. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Guru Posts: 439   +17

Just because it is cheaper does not mean that we will be paying less: LED monitors and TVs are cheaper than the alternatives but we paid more for a long period of time…

13. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

2560x1440p would be more ideal for these type of EPD, but still LCD Mono-Chrome is the first to come out over Color type. Prices should be high then fall after it get made but the masses. LCD, LCD/LED all these will be replace by this technology. It's coming soon now. HDTV, GPS an etc.. are sure to follow too.

14. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 265

So for the picture they printed the New York Times at such a small resolution that you'd need a magnifying glass to read it? Yeah, not sure what I'm supposed to use this for.

15. Very cool, except pcbs don't bend ! So what use is this except to create a curved surface to fit a back pocket ? So will we soon be choosing readers based on butt size and curvature ? I can't think that'll catch on...

16. "a lot than can go wrong"? Proof read much?

17. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,414   +745

when im rich, im using this stuff as wallpaper.

18. @example1013: You mean high resolution. ;p