LG's new DualUp monitor targets multitaskers with a 16:18 aspect ratio

Humza

Staff member
In brief: Multi-monitor setups that require frequent side-to-side head movement can induce neck pain, according to LG, which is why the company has announced the new 16:18 format DualUp monitor that looks like two screens stacked vertically. This monitor will also be showcased at LG's CES booth, alongside a new (traditional-looking) UltraFine monitor.

Whether you’re a financial analyst carefully studying multiple candlestick charts at work or a content creator fine-tuning a video timeline, LG’s upcoming DualUp display might be worth a look at. This upcoming 27.6-inch Nano IPS monitor sports an interesting new 16:18 aspect ratio and a resolution of 2,560 x 2,880px.

LG notes that the DualUp’s unique design offers the same screen real estate as two 21.5-inch displays and is meant to deliver an ergonomic, comfortable viewing experience by reducing side-to-side head movements associated with typical dual/multi-monitor setups. As expected, the DualUp has a vertical split view function to take advantage of the double-height display.

Other specs on this monitor are fairly ordinary. It offers a peak brightness of 300 nits (with Auto Brightness), a 1000:1 contrast ratio, 5ms GtG response time, and covers 98 percent of the DCI-P3 color gamut. In terms of connectivity, there are 3 x USB-C ports (1 upstream, 2 downstream with 96W charging support), 2 x HDMI ports, and a pair of 7W speakers.

The DualUp comes with LG’s 2nd-gen Ergo stand that uses a clamp mechanism instead of a regular stand and supports pivot, height, tilt and swivel adjustment.

LG’s second monitor announcement is a new 16:9 format UltraFine display that has slightly better specs than the DualUp. This 4K 31.5-inch display features AMD FreeSync, while peak brightness and contrast ratio figures get a small bump to 400 nits and 2000:1, respectively.

The UltraFine’s port selection and remaining feature-set are the same as the DualUp, but it uses a traditional stand that supports pivot, height and tilt adjustment. Expect LG to reveal the price and availability info for these monitors at the upcoming CES.

Permalink to story.

I like the concept, but why stop at 2? Just take a regular, 40" 4k screen and instead of giving it gamer features give it proper picture by picture support so it can display 4 1080p input sources simultaneously with no seams: now you've got my attention.

BTW I know this can already be done by purchasing a rare and expensive special hdmi hub that does this for you but it would be a lot cleaner if it could all be built into the monitor itself.

I like the concept, but why stop at 2? Just take a regular, 40" 4k screen and instead of giving it gamer features give it proper picture by picture support so it can display 4 1080p input sources simultaneously with no seams: now you've got my attention.

BTW I know this can already be done by purchasing a rare and expensive special hdmi hub that does this for you but it would be a lot cleaner if it could all be built into the monitor itself.
You do know that ugly box exists so you can do this with any 4k monitor your heart desires, right?

These were done long ago with another monitor company and they were VERY popular for office workers and those producing documents and desktop publishing but in time they faded away. Good to see their return ....

This should help with windows 11 taskbar...unless m$ detects your aspect ratio and makes taskbar even bigger to f*** with you.

Really, still sticking with garbage 16:9. First 4K, HDR600, 100% aRGB, 90Hz+, 32" 3840 x 2400 monitor gets my money.

This would be ideal for photo imaging work, as both portrait and landscape orientation from 35 mm aspect ratio, (3:2) could be displayed in full, and occupy approximately identical screen areas.

16:9 is horrifically bad for displaying portraits. It leaves about 60% of the screen blank, while the image height is only about half that of the same monitor turned to vertical orientation.

This monitor interests me GREATLY. It would fit very nicely along side my LG 34" UW to connect to my MacBook from work. Hopefully they aren't stupid expensive.

Back