Lian Li unveils SFF chassis supporting triple slot GPU, 240mm radiator

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Lian Li is best known for its signature line of brushed and anodized aluminum computer cases. Their premium nature makes them prohibitively expensive for some buyers, but the company’s latest offering is priced to cater to a wider audience and might fit the bill for your next build, so long as you are alright with a SFF chassis.

The Lian Li A4H2O is an 11-liter small-form-factor chassis developed in collaboration with DAN Cases. Based on the A4-SFX, the A4H2O supports Mini-ITX motherboards and can accommodate up to a triple slot GPU as well as a 240mm radiator for liquid cooling.

Even with all of its cooling vents, you should probably expect a flagship GPU to run warm and loud given the small confines of the case.

The chassis further boasts removable sandblasted aluminum panels, support for SFX / SFX-L power supplies, and PCIe 3.0 / PCIe 4.0 support depending on which model you purchase. A USB 3.1 Type-C connector, a standard USB 3.0 port and audio / mic jacks are located on the front left side of the case.

Storage is limited to just a single 2.5” bay, so you’ll likely want to toss in a sizable drive or plan on some sort of external / cloud storage option.

The Lian Li A4H2O is available to pre-order in silver or black from a variety of retailers including Newegg. Pricing starts at $129.99 for a model with PCIe 3.0 support and $169.99 if you need PCIe 4.0. No word yet on when it will begin shipping.

Permalink to story.

This dude loves SFF builds and built a system in this case. I watch him for his gaming related stuff, but I remember seeing this and thought I'd share if anyone is interested in it.

All I see is a typical mini-itx Lian Li case stretched slightly to accommodate a longer video card. This is supposed to be earth shaking? I love Lian Li mini-itx cases, we have several in the house. But I would never put a super hot GPU into such a small case. Small cases with hot components need significant open space around and above them to maintain airflow through the screens. This DAN inspired case will need at least a couple of inches all round, and you would never put anything on top. That increases the effective desktop footprint to about the same as a larger case. Just get the bigger case, you'll have more room to rout wiring, fit a bigger cooler, and get cleaner airflow.

Sorry, I don't see the point of cramming a giant video card into a tiny case. If you're running a huge card it's worth buying a bigger case for your own sanity. Working in small cases SUCKS from a builder perspective!

Sorry, I don't see the point of cramming a giant video card into a tiny case. If you're running a huge card it's worth buying a bigger case for your own sanity. Working in small cases SUCKS from a builder perspective!
Throttling is a bigger issue with small factor cases. I have the h210 with 3090 XC3 ultra hybrid and 9900ks with noctua 15d which is on the bigger end of itx cases and I have to run it with open panel to get no throttling out of the case. I still love the small form factor case and this is in comparison from 10 years on an 800D full tower case behemoth previous build.

IMHO tiny builds are not for flagship parts. Not that it won't work or will definitely underperform, but it may take extra effort and tweaking to keep the temps under control at high clocks. I can see putting something like a 12600k and a 3070 in a case like that and with a top tier 240mm aio and high performance fans you'd have no trouble with temps with no extra effort. If you went for higher spec parts, you may not get great temps unless you put extra effort in, ie undervolting, etc.

This looks really good, but obviously not for hot parts. It’s a little bit bigger then the Dan A4 and the Ghost S1, but at a lower price. I’m very tempted, but I’d like to see some complete builds reviewed first.

It looks very nice. I got my system packed into a Meshlisious, and that works much better than I thought. As well vertical case is bit better on space than horizontal one for my needs.

Back