Lian Li's Mini-ITX Finest: PC-Q25 Chassis Review

I have the big brother of this case. I had big problems with the ram overheating due to the hdd cage being in the way. I had to remove it and double side tape the hdd to the paneling. The case gives you the option of turning the power supply around, but no grill on the outer panel.

Great review Steve.
Do you suppose you could squeeze the CM GeminiII S or the like) in there, or another downward cooler to get the CPU and Ram temps down?

Did you install the PSU fan towards the processor heat sink? You might want to do that with a passive heat sink, but for the active one you should perhaps try a PSU with the 80 mm fan on the back for a better cooling result.

Great review Steve.
Do you suppose you could squeeze the CM GeminiII S or the like) in there, or another downward cooler to get the CPU and Ram temps down?

I’m not sure to be honest I don’t have the CM GeminiI S, all I can tell you is there isn’t much room ;)

Did you install the PSU fan towards the processor heat sink? You might want to do that with a passive heat sink, but for the active one you should perhaps try a PSU with the 80 mm fan on the back for a better cooling result.

There is no other option all the power supplies we have feature an inward facing 120mm or larger fan, its kinda the standard now. I have not seen a PSU with a rear mounted 80mm fan in years, that said I don’t really deal with low-end or cheap units.

Well I am in the market for a , as you put it " shelf bound HTPC" of the ones you have reviewed, and price aside, which do you favor?

It really depends on what you like and where you need it to fit. Personally I really liked the Silverstone Fortress FT03 but that's much bigger than the PC-Q25. Are you after a micro ATX or mini ITX case? If a mini then I would go for the PC-Q25.

The internal space requirement for a CPU HSF is almost the same as the PC-Q08, and I'm personally using the Prolimatech Samuel 17 with a 25mm PWM fan. Fits just nicely. As for PSU I'm using (as suggested) an OCZ Modstream PSU, which is about the same size as the stealthstream. It works, but a tight squeeze nonetheless.

Like that Atomic Football version of the PC-Q08, gotta love those easy to remove side panels, though, is there any kind of physical support to keep the Motherboard panel closed? at least PC-TU200 was latched based.

The loss of the (optional) optical drive and front USB kinda makes it iffy for an "accessible" HTPC. What I mean by that remark is unless you intend to have a dedicated DVD/BD player, the PC-Q25 well, can't play that without an external ODD, which just takes up more space. Likewise if you or have friends/family that want to play music or bring a video, or show a picture slideshow and have it on a USB drive, it creates the minor inconvenience of having an extension cord for a back USB. Can't really beat the simplicity though.

What was it you didn't like about the PC-V354 and (related) PC-Q08, aside from ALL those dumb screws?

@Red: if you want an ODD and all the fixings in a mini-ITX case, the PC-Q08 hands down. Otherwise I agree with Steve's sentiments about the PC-Q25.

Lian Li makes a Power Supply Extension Bracket (PE-01), allowing a portion of the PSU to reside outside of the case; thus providing extra room for PSU cables and air flow.

Best,
Admiral Joey

Back