TechSpot

Light, affordable budget laptop

1. Hi, my friend is looking for a 14" - 15" sized notebook, but as light as possible, with decent battery life.

She's basically going to just use it for office work and browsing/email etc..., so nothing hardware intensive is required, however, a stronger processor would really help her out for picture viewing and minor editing. If it's not too much of a compromise, a strong processor would be preferable.

Also, an SSD would also be preferable, though I think she may also need some space for pictures and files. So, SSD if possible. Maybe a Seagate momentus could be a nice choice.

Other than that, the video card requirements are basically nil. Lightness is a key factor; throw me whatever you've got regardless of price since budget is not fixed, but will most likely stay at or under $1000.

Thanks everyone!

2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Most ultrabooks out there tick the boxes, although your friend may need to get an external hard drive as 128GB SSDs fill up real fast.

A few suggestions:
    - Asus UX31E
    - Acer Aspire S3
    - Samsung Series 5
    - Toshiba Portege Z835

Lightness comes at a pretty hefty premium, you can get much better specs for lower prices if you're willing to accept normal thickness laptops.

p.s. as Ivy Bridge is just a few months away I would wait for IB ultrabooks to hit the market, maybe that will kickstart the ultrabook movement and reduce prices.

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +127

Yes lightness does come with a hefty premium. Weight is important to a point, probably less than $1000 USD.

4. hellokitty[hk]

I'm looking for one in the near future...

5. mike1959

mike1959 TS Addict Posts: 1,126   +22

6. hellokitty[hk]

Hmm, that looks like a great budget choice!
    I'll definitely recommend it over... though it may be a tiny bit small/underpowered.
    Thanks!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.