Lightening Killed my NIC

Howdy Folks, I'm brand new here. My 7 year old EMachine, running Windows 7, fell victim to a lightening bolt strike to the main power line running into our home. It no longer recognises the NIC, which, is a part of the mother board. Other than the NIC no longer showing up, the machine seems to be just fine. The brand new Nighthawk router looked like melted goo on the inside and the cable modem was toast as is my TV/Computer monitor. We have since replaced everything, but my computer has been my computer for 7 years. It as everything on it. Can I plug the EMachine into my new HP computer, windows 10, and somehow possibly network them together and still use the EMachine or have I been smoking wacky weed if I think I can do that? I am not the most computer savvy person and I'm getting up in my years. Y'all seem very smart according to the threads I've read, so I decided to ask y'all for advise. I appreciate your time and efforts.. thanks, y'all rock!

You obviously need a 'Sparkus Interruptus" (funny Latin for surge protector) and some new equipment including a PCI mounted NIC. Amazon is terribly slow these days (my 10 day old order is due in 20 days), so I would recommend a pure equipment vendor like NewEgg or BH Photo. Use BIOS to set up right.

Back